Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are the UC Regents and why do they still have a copyright on FreeBSD?
Hi,

I'm just wondering, since I always see this notice when my system boots up.

Copyright © 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Do I need to worry about this if I plan to make tutorial videos and endorsements of PCBSD?  It says:

1. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must display the following acknowledgement:This product includes software developed by the University of California, Berkeley and its contributors.
It doesn't seem that many folks worry about this on their youtubes.  what constitutes "advertising materials", and who are these UC Regents people anyway?  Does any of that old code still exist in current versions of BSD?  Are the UC Regents involved with Apple somehow?  I smell a conspiracy in there somewhere.  Please let me know what you think.
Please see the 1999 note at The 4.4BSD Copyright.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to grahamperrin for this post:
  • ccazier858
Thanks for clearing that up, but what about the Apple-BSD-UC connection? Didn't the "Woz" hang out in Oakland alot, back in the day? And wasn't Jobs a Deadhead? I'm certain there must have been something going on there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Court concludes that Novell is the owner of Unix copyright Gerard 5 1,666 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Oliver Herold