• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion GUI Assets / Intellectual Property

GUI Assets / Intellectual Property
The first time I saw the PC-BSD mount tray icon for an optical disc, I thought, wow, what a nice, sleek design.

Quite by happenstance, I saw a Windows 7 installer recently, and I could not help but notice the similarities.

Compare:
CD Icon (pc-mounttray)
Win7 Installer Icon

That same image from PC-BSD goes back at least as far as PC-BSD was on github. I did not muck around with the old CVS/SVN repositories. I have not seen this icon in TrueOS yet, but I may have to wait a while before I can play with it and really dig in.

What do you suppose might be the implications of such close derivatives from proprietary software being repackaged in open-source software? I don't work for Microsoft, but I would not want to see this project get in any kind of trouble that could be easily avoided. While I am not a lawyer, I still wonder that there could be some legal issue. Samsung has gotten some grief from Apple a lot lately, I want to say including for reasons about icon design. Has anyone looked into this, gotten permissions, etc.?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to styr for this post:
  • grahamperrin

RE: GUI Assets / Intellectual Property
I would certainly agree that there is obvious similarity.  I don't know which one actually came first or its true origin, but I did do a couple searches via tineye.

Plain version like in PC-BSD

Version used for Win7 example

There seem to be far too many versions of the image out there in the wild already to believe that it is a protected image.. I am no lawyer and cannot/didn't verify the status of any/all of the variants.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tigersharke for this post:
  • grahamperrin

(12-08-2016, 06:29 AM)styr Wrote: The first time I saw the PC-BSD mount tray icon for an optical disc, I thought, wow, what a nice, sleek design.

Quite by happenstance, I saw a Windows 7 installer recently, and I could not help but notice the similarities.

Compare:
CD Icon (pc-mounttray)
Win7 Installer Icon

Has anyone looked into this, gotten permissions, etc.?

We go to great lengths to make sure any and all icons and images included in our software have a friendly license that allows re-use.  I agree the icon looks similar.  Although with our icon it's a very generic icon and there's no branding associated.  The link below is where this one looks like it originated from.  You can see it is definitely labeled for re-use.  There's a pretty clear license agreement attached to that page if anyone's interested in reading it.

http://www.iconarchive.com/show/vista-ha...-icon.html
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to JoshDW19 for this post:
  • grahamperrin, styr

(12-09-2016, 04:38 AM)JoshDW19 Wrote: http://www.iconarchive.com/show/vista-ha...-icon.html

Thanks, if I had not seen the large image I would never have imagined a DVD case. I thought the blue thing was a mobile hard disk drive.

Cool, thanks! That's all good to know. There are lots of good resources in that archive.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New GUI for mplayer dracheflieger 3 864 01-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Last Post: damienjp
  Prozilla GUI for Prozilla2.0.4 Amigamerlin 44 7,537 08-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Amigamerlin
  Evolution of the GUI ? 1000k 5 1,958 03-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Last Post: 1000k

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon