• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug #11087 – Error 2: chroot /.updateStage /.freebsd-up.sh -r 10.2-RELEASE upgrade

Bug #11087 – Error 2: chroot /.updateStage /.freebsd-up.sh -r 10.2-RELEASE upgrade
From a topic about  11.0-CURRENTAUG2015:

(08-22-2015, 10:07 AM)bforest Wrote: Issue #11087 created. (10.2-RELEASE)

Focusing on upgrades to 10.2-RELEASE

From https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/11087#note-2:

Quote:… Are there any other details we can provide to help this along?

I guess that Kris Moore will advise, but I don't see him in IRC at the moment.  

My own attempts to upgrade have reached a comparable point –

[1540/1541] Deleting files for zsh-5.0.7_3... done

– and hopefully I'll know in a few minutes whether it either fails, or proceeds, beyond that point. If not within a few minutes then I'll be away, probably unable to revisit this for a few hours.

RE: Error 2: chroot /.updateStage /.freebsd-up.sh -r 10.2-RELEASE upgrade
It will fail. Period. Been there.

I was running in to the same problem. I am not sure what I did will help and It is probably more complicated than it needed to be but here is what I did to get it upgraded and now everything is working including chrome.

I ssh'd into my computer with out logging into the desktop. (Probably could just use a terminal)

"sudo pc-updatemanager check"

It informed me that there was a upgrade and typed

"sudo pc-updatemanger install fbsd-10.2-RELEASE"

"sudo reboot"

After rebooting the computer did most of the installing of software and rebooted again. Then i did another check via ssh.

Which told me that there were security updates and I ran

"sudo pc-updatemanager fbsdupdate"

rebooted and it was all good. Sorry for the long winded response and I hope it helps.

Travis
[-] The following 7 users say Thank You to Marchman for this post:
  • sergey07, W7EKB, bobk48, RodMyers, RobIWW, bforest, tolkor

I had the same issue (Error 2) and used your method of updating.
It works for me and now I am on 10.2-RELEASE-p4 for both: PCBSD and FreeBSD
I run the only:
Then "sudo reboot"
The rest was done by the update manager.

UPDATE

Yes, 10.2 installed but it is not really functional:
From what I see appcafe and qbittorrent do not work for me
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sergey07 for this post:
  • tolkor

My App Cafe works and so does my qbittorrent. Just a shot in the dark. Maybe try and see if pc-updatemanager check says there is another update.

Travis

P.S. I am trying the same thing on the second of my PC-BSD computers and we will see if I get the same results with the exact same steps.

Looks like I responded to different bug report, here is the link: https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/11087#change-55165

(08-22-2015, 07:55 PM)Marchman Wrote: I was running in to the same problem. I am not sure what I did will help and It is probably more complicated than it needed to be but here is what I did to get it upgraded and now everything is working including chrome.

I ssh'd into my computer with out logging into the desktop. (Probably could just use a terminal)

It informed me that there was a upgrade and typed

"sudo reboot"

After rebooting the computer did most of the installing of software and rebooted again. Then i did another check via ssh.

Which told me that there were security updates and I ran

"sudo pc-updatemanager fbsdupdate"

rebooted and it was all good. Sorry for the long winded response and I hope it helps.

Travis

Thanks, Travis. That did it for me. Everything is upgraded to 10.2 and everything works as it should.

I had to use the PC-BSD control panel to manually remove all the excess boot environments, but once that was done, going to a terminal, logging in as root, and following your directions above did the trick.

Easy-peasy.

It was kind of a PITA, but now all is OK.

Ken

I followed the instructions that Marchman gave, and they worked to upgrade the FreeBSD base system. That's something the Update Manager failed to do. I have Update Manager set to automatic everything, so the security updates were handled automatically. I now have PC-BSD 10.2(automatically done) and FreeBSD 10.2(manually done).

Bug 11087 is critical, due date 2015-08-31
Thanks for the suggestions.

In this case I'll refrain from command line workarounds; there should be a fix that does not require such things. The bug is prioritised as critical, with a due date less than a week from now.
AppleSeed programme member 2009–2014 – Mavericks was the last of the best • switched from OS X to TrueOS Desktop

(08-24-2015, 04:35 AM)bobk48 Wrote: I followed the instructions that Marchman gave, and they worked to upgrade the FreeBSD base system. That's something the Update Manager failed to do. I have Update Manager set to automatic everything, so the security updates were handled automatically. I now have PC-BSD 10.2(automatically done) and FreeBSD 10.2(manually done).

Yes. That is what took place here too. BOTH have been updated to 10.2 now. My system is set up the same way as yours as far as updates are concerned.

Ken

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upgrade FreeBSD base 10.0 to 10.1 fails, but upgrade to 10.2 successful pb-user 14 7,173 03-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Last Post: pb-user
  #10997: Error 2: chroot /.updateStage /.freebsd-up.sh -r 11.0-CURRENTAUG2015 upgrade grahamperrin 2 1,405 08-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Last Post: grahamperrin
  Update problems from 10.0-RELEASE to 10.1-RELEASE Tiberius Duval 21 4,133 08-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Exclamation Error 1: chroot /.updateStage /.freebsd-up.sh -r 10.1-RELEASE upgrade grahamperrin 9 3,383 08-15-2015, 08:29 PM
  freebsd-update fails during freebsd->pcbsd conversion spuriousdata 3 2,097 05-08-2015, 04:43 AM
Last Post: spuriousdata
  pkg upgrade problem: 10.1-RELEASE not found ko56 6 1,719 03-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Last Post: lancelot
  gui upgrade vs shell upgrade RodMyers 0 815 12-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Last Post: RodMyers

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon