Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn PC-BSD into a home theater
Video 
Goal: turn your desktop into a home theater, and stay inside for the holidays!
Needed: popcorn and drinks

a) Install Kodi
b) Open Kodi and navigate to "system" --> "Filemanager"
c) Click on "add source"
d) Enter a path: http://fusion.xbmchub.com --> click "done"
e) Enter a name for media source: "Fusion" --> click "done"

f) Navigate to "system" --> "settings" -> click "add-ons" --> "install from zip file" --> choose "Fusion" --> choose "start-here" --> choose "plugin.video.hubwizard.zip". Wait until you see "Config-wizard" add-on enabled pop up in the right lower corner.

g) Navigate to "Programs" and choose "Config Wizard" --> choose the "Linux" tile
e) Click on "Yes" when prompted "Would you like TVADDONS.AG to customize your add-on collection?"
f) Watch the program download or go make yourself useful and make some popcorn.
g) It might be that Kodi closes, but if you start it up again you can see the video plugins installed.

TIP
1) Use the "\" key to switch between windowed and full screen mode. (handy while configuring and reading this post.)
2) If you downloaded PC-BSD 10.1.2 you can turn on Tor-mode, so Kodi is tunneled through the Tor network. New feature with a very high awesomeness factor!

Cheers and have fun Wink
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Inectha for this post:
  • Tigersharke
I am not sure if this is available from AppCafe or not, but Kodi is a FreeBSD port and for those unfamiliar (as I was, and even suspicious) from the Freshports page:
Quote:Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) is a free and open source cross-platform
media-player and entertainment hub. It allows users to play and view
most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local
and network storage media and the internet.

If it works well and is not yet available in prebuilt form (aka PBI/pkg from AppCafe etc), perhaps it could be requested.
(04-06-2015, 05:39 AM)Tigersharke Wrote: ...is not yet available in prebuilt form (aka PBI/pkg from AppCafe etc), perhaps it could be requested.

What about this? https://forums.pcbsd.org/thread-19805.html
Kodi/Plex are both available as packages on PC-BSD (PBI's too I think), as well as being available in the recent PC-BSD installer images.
This allows a user to setup a system as a "pure" multimedia center extremely easily.
~ Ken Moore ~
PC-BSD/iXsystems
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Beanpole for this post:
  • Tigersharke
(04-05-2015, 07:53 AM)Inectha Wrote: Goal: turn your desktop into a home theater, and stay inside for the holidays!

a) Install Kodi
c) Click on "add source"

f) Navigate to "system" --> "settings" -> click "add-ons" --> "install from zip file" --> choose "Fusion" --> choose "start-here" --> choose "plugin.video.hubwizard.zip". Wait until you see "Config-wizard" add-on enabled pop up in the right lower corner.

g) Navigate to "Programs" and choose "Config Wizard" --> choose the "Linux" tile
e) Click on "Yes" when prompted "Would you like TVADDONS.AG to customize your add-on collection?"
g) It might be that Kodi closes, but if you start it up again you can see the video plugins installed.

TIP
1) Use the "\" key to switch between windowed and full screen mode. (handy while configuring and reading this post.)
2) If you downloaded PC-BSD 10.1.2 you can turn on Tor-mode, so Kodi is tunneled through the Tor network. New feature with a very high awesomeness factor!

Cheers and have fun Wink

Well, it all goes well until I click on "Linux" and it says "Error: Script failed! Config Wizard".

So what now? BTW, I use FreeBSD 9.3, but does this make a difference if everything has gone well until that point?
(05-20-2015, 06:32 PM)cabriofahrer Wrote:
(04-05-2015, 07:53 AM)Inectha Wrote: Goal: turn your desktop into a home theater, and stay inside for the holidays!

a) Install Kodi
c) Click on "add source"

TIP

Cheers and have fun Wink

Well, it all goes well until I click on "Linux" and it says "Error: Script failed! Config Wizard".

So what now? BTW, I use FreeBSD 9.3, but does this make a difference if everything has gone well until that point?

Sorry to read that the instructions did not work for you on FreeBSD 9.3.

I had the same error message on an older version of XBMC, while I was using Debian. Everything else up to that point worked fine for me also. Therefore I believe it has to do with older versions of XBMC (before version 12 I believe) which conflict with the script.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Folding@home SMP@ Wine vs VirtualBox Ralph_Ellis 0 2,003 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Ralph_Ellis
  Folding@home SMP2 Ralph_Ellis 4 3,127 08-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Ralph_Ellis
  If your system is slooow - turn of indexing in Thunderbird 3.0.x SolarCatcher 1 1,352 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Last Post: KOA
  How do I turn OFF the X screensaver?? kingneutron 1 1,603 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Last Post: kingneutron