Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix poor forum fonts
If the fonts on forums.pcbsd.org look quite poorly in Firefox, check to see whether x11-fonts/webfonts is installed, or simply reinstall it if unsure. Once it has been installed, refresh the tab in Firefox that has the forums.pcbsd.org URL. It may also be necessary to refresh the font cache:
Code:
fc-cache -f

The reason this works is that verdana is among the fonts used which is supplied by the port, x11-fonts/webfonts.
(09-02-2014, 10:13 AM)Tigersharke Wrote: If the fonts on forums.pcbsd.org look quite poorly in Firefox, check to see whether x11-fonts/webfonts is installed, or simply reinstall it if unsure. Once it has been installed, refresh the tab in Firefox that has the forums.pcbsd.org URL. It may also be necessary to refresh the font cache:
Code:
fc-cache -f

The reason this works is that verdana is among the fonts used which is supplied by the port, x11-fonts/webfonts.

If you wish to read or view the non-European international forums, the solution is easy: Install the noto Google font.
https://www.freshports.org/x11-fonts/noto/

Of course, once again, update the font cache.
Here, "fc-cache -f" results in:

Fontconfig warning: "local.conf", line 1093: saw number, expected matrix

Regards, JH
(08-04-2016, 08:11 AM)jhz Wrote: Here, "fc-cache -f" results in:

Fontconfig warning: "local.conf", line 1093: saw number, expected matrix

Regards, JH

That seems to be a long lasting temporary fix in one of the files relating to the font cache. It is more noise than substance (and can be ignored).  However, once upon a time, I found where and which file to revise to eliminate this message but as my present primary box is going through a restoration phase (did a reinstall onto a new zpool configuration), I guess I may need to re-discover the exact answer once more. 

When I have the details for the fix (which lines to remove in which file) then I'll post again on this thread and remove this post after.  After a moment's thought, it was local.conf though I am unsure where the file resides since as mentioned below, I do not have it presently, but within the file there is mention of a sort of hack/cludge to fix something or other and I believe I simply commented out the whole thing. *shrugs*

Hmm. This is interesting.  I just had to re-add noto font and then did fc-cache -f but it gave no such message about line 1093, but I also looked (via locate) for local.conf, and I do not have one.  I am using FreeBSD 11.0-BETA4 #0 r303861 and afaik the ports tree that goes with it. Maybe we are lucky and this annoying long-standing warning is finally vanquished.
It appears that there may be another reason why forum fonts could look poorly, though it would not be limited to fonts in the forum or in your web browser. I discovered the mention below, in a much longer post about transitioning to FreeBSD 10.3 from PC-BSD 10.3.

(11-16-2016, 10:44 PM)LGE Wrote: -snip-

Fonts
=====

Your fonts in X will look like crap. Mine did in any case. After a lot of digging, I found that all you need to do is remove this file:

Code:
/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/85-wqy.conf

And your fonts in X will look as nice as in PC-BSD.

The port that installs the config file is x11-fonts/wqy and since I had installed all fonts, my system was affected by that conf file.  I suspect that it may either cause other font malfunctions due to an error or it overrides other font configurations to force itself to be used.  It hardly matters which way it is to me, since first renaming the conf file so that it does not load, then deinstalling the port, my strange sudden font problems are gone.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tigersharke for this post:
  • grahamperrin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to fix portsnap error: "snapshot corrupt" dejamuse 1 3,327 01-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Last Post: helix
  KDE Desktop Effects tearing fix malco_2001 0 1,140 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Last Post: malco_2001
  Fix a flash hiccup - due to location move (FreeBSD) Tigersharke 1 1,463 11-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Beanpole
  How to fix the update manager jrushford 0 1,019 12-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Last Post: jrushford
  Opera browser: Automatically fix incompatible Web pages Galraedia 0 1,450 02-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Galraedia
  Good looking MS fonts amol_dan 0 2,138 09-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Last Post: amol_dan
  mozilla* searchplugins for PC-BSD Forum, FreeBSD Ports, & PB TerryP 2 2,342 03-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Last Post: TerryP