Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 PM

Default k3b problem - locks computer on 2nd cd
I recently tried to burn the cds for FreeBSD 7.0 and found that the first burn goes fine under k3b, but as soon as I insert another cd for the next data cd burn, the computer locks up as soon as the cd starts to spin up. I had to do a hard restart (power button) between each burn. Even if I close k3b between burns and reopen it and start over, as soon as the cd starts to spin up for the second burn the computer locks up. I tried minor configuration changes, like not integrating k3b with kde, between trys, but nothing helped.

Rodonn started a thread below that he was having trouble burning cds with k3b under 1.5 and I posted that I had been burning data cds without problem. I don't know what changed, but now I'm having problems.

On the good side, with all these hard restarts, PCBSD just keeps coming right back up. I was worried about that.

Tony
Old 04-14-2008, 02:36 AM

Default Re: k3b problem - locks computer on 2nd cd
Originally Posted by thenrie
I recently tried to burn the cds for FreeBSD 7.0 and found that the first burn goes fine under k3b, but as soon as I insert another cd for the next data cd burn, the computer locks up as soon as the cd starts to spin up. I had to do a hard restart (power button) between each burn. Even if I close k3b between burns and reopen it and start over, as soon as the cd starts to spin up for the second burn the computer locks up. I tried minor configuration changes, like not integrating k3b with kde, between trys, but nothing helped.

Rodonn started a thread below that he was having trouble burning cds with k3b under 1.5 and I posted that I had been burning data cds without problem. I don't know what changed, but now I'm having problems.

On the good side, with all these hard restarts, PCBSD just keeps coming right back up. I was worried about that.

Tony

Actually K3b has quite a few bugs that has never been corrected as they do not affect Linux. In all honestly, I have to say that K3b is not written with Linux in mind but with the real Unix in mind so we should not be too hard to
on it. It is the best GUI front end for cdrtools and dvd+rw-tools in my oppinion.

For most common applications like burning iso CDs or DVDs as well as music CDs you are far better of using directly cdrtools and dvd+rw-tools.
If you are curious about mp3 or ogg encoding K3b uses libmad library for
encoding for which there is a simple front end application madplay.

Cheers,
OKO
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM

Actually, I've not yet tried burning music cds. I was using it to burn .iso files for FreeNAS, PCBSD, and FreeBSD. That's when I noticed the problem, from burning multiple data cds. Burning a data cd with k3b is a snap - fast and accurate. It's just that I can't do more than one cd per session for some reason. I'm not very smart in such things, but could it be an IRQ conflict between k3b and the auto-detect for the cd? It happens right when the blank cd starts to spin up. If so, is there a fix that a non-programmer could do?

Thanks for your response.

Tony
Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM

Try reading this. Maybe you will find out that issuing a single shell command
is far easier way to interact with your CD burner than starting 10Mb GUI interface.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/han ... g-cds.html
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM

I installed FreeBSD 7 on a slice on my laptop last week. I haven't gotten that far in the manual yet, but I'm working on it. Thanks for the link. I'll give it a shot next time.

A few weeks ago I bought a Unix reference guide, hoping it would help me find and use FreeBSD commands with all their associated options. It helps, but it sure would be nice if there were a FreeBSD reference book, similar to the man pages but without the long explanations, that just listed the command, a syntax line, and the associated options and a one-line description of each. So many times I find myself knowing the right command, but get confused trying to remember which options go with what. Since I'm just doing this for my own home network, I don't use most of the commands often enough to keep them in persistent memory. Most of them get flushed when I reboot my wetware every morning. :? I could really use a reference guide to just help me pull back up what I already know. I'm old enough that I still feel more comfortable with a paper manual at hand than searching a computer manual.

Thanks again.
Tony
Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Some good books:
  • FreeBSD Unleashed
    The Complete FreeBSD
    Absolute BSD
    FreeBSD: The Complete Reference
Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unix_commands

I wish I had that link when I was on Night 1 lol.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:55 PM

I have "Teach Yourself Unix in 24 Hours" oh, my. I recently bought Absolute FreeBSD and find it to be excellent, although much of it says "Do it this way" without really explaining why. Well written, though. Definitely worth the $60.

TH
Old 04-17-2008, 04:58 PM

Nice link, Terry. After I retire and get some time :mrgreen: I'll go through the FreeBSD manual and compile a list like that with a list of pertinent options along with each command.

Tony
Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to Protagonist
Originally Posted by TerryP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unix_commands

I wish I had that link when I was on Night 1 lol.
I don't know whether to curse you or thank you for the link. It has been a long time since I have seen the term EBCDIC. I had managed to forget it. :-)

Bill
There are alternatives
--------------------------------------