Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 AM

Default KDE 4
Anyone know when there are plans for KDE 4.0 to come to PC-BSD??
Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Default Re: KDE 4
search.php and http://trac.pcbsd.org/roadmap
Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

We'd love to upgrade to KDE4 (porting to BSD is still in progress) but 4.0 is not 100% stable and isn't feature complete yet. We're waiting for 4.1 to come out (due this summer)
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM

FreeBSD ports commiters are working on KDE 4, it's at the moment in an experimental repo. It's ready and it builds, but KDE 4.0.x isn't stable - so FreeBSD ports commiters will commit it in summer after the *real* release of KDE 4.1. So if the release it in June then you have to wait maybe 4-6 weeks (for the ports commit).

http://miwi.bsdcrew.de/2008/03/07/freeb ... us-part-2/
Old 05-09-2008, 04:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to saigonnezumi
I have been playing with KDE4 and Kubuntu the last couple of days. All I have to say is that I will move over to the Gnome desktop if all the Linux and BSD distros decide to use KDE4.

I just wanted a standard taskbar but it was a pain to set up. All the widgets disappeared at one point and then I tried to add them back. Arghh!!!

Yeah I understand that it is still buggy, KDE 4.1 will not be ready for mainstream distros until at least KDE 4.3 IMHO.

I can see KDE4 pushing many users to the Gnome desktop or XFCE.

Right now I am not impressed. :cry:
Old 05-09-2008, 05:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
I haven't tried KDE4 since the RC-days, but my opinion was step-backwards in desktop design, leap forwards in program design.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:14 PM

I've tried a recent KDE4 liveCD and have to say that I was slightly less than impressed. I'm willing to cut it some slack with bugs, but the plasmoid system kept crashing repeatedly.

And while I personally find the default look of KDE4 leaps and bounds better than KDE3, I've heard that KDE4 is not nearly as customizable. That's a shame, because if you're willing to put some work into it, you can have a pretty good looking desktop with KDE3.

It really does come off as a mixed bag, but one that I actually think comes out slightly weaker in the end. But I don't see PC-BSD having much choice since all of its tools require KDE. It might be able to skirt one release (and I doubt they would), but I'd say all releases starting in 2009 will have to feature KDE4.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to saigonnezumi
I think for KDE4 to be viable for PC-BSD, it will need to adopt the Raptor menu system. This means that the developers at PC-BSD will be the "lucky" ones to figure out how to make KDE4 work with this distro.

It is still buggy, I was using Kubuntu KDE 4.02. Its look like openSUSE 11 and Fedora Core 9 will both include KDE 4.0.2. Maybe 4.1 will much better.

This is definitely a big change, and gamble, of the KDE community.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 AM

It would be nice to be able to run PCBSD with Gnome as a standard alternative, KDE is nice if you come from a Windows background, but the menu organization has a lot of confusing duplications, and too many submenus for easy laptop/trackpad usage. Having spent a bit of time on Ubuntu as well, I like the Gnome menu layout they use, even the OpenSuse Gnome install with their little panel is quite easy to navigate. KDE has some great apps. On Ubuntu I install both environments to get all the apps, and make it default to Gnome for easier navigation.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by erk
It would be nice to be able to run PCBSD with Gnome as a standard alternative, KDE is nice if you come from a Windows background, but the menu organization has a lot of confusing duplications, and too many submenus for easy laptop/trackpad usage. Having spent a bit of time on Ubuntu as well, I like the Gnome menu layout they use, even the OpenSuse Gnome install with their little panel is quite easy to navigate. KDE has some great apps. On Ubuntu I install both environments to get all the apps, and make it default to Gnome for easier navigation.
I 100% disagree with this. PCBSD IMHO is not necessarily "FreeBSD+KDE configured nicely", it is an operating system unto itself. As you've mentioned there are loads of Gnome based distros around but PCBSD uses KDE to present its interface.