Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM

Default Battery Indicator
I've just installed PC-BSD, and very nice it is, too.

Thanks to the people who've made it available.

It's a laptop I've put it on, and one thing I've missed is a battery indicator. I spent ages looking for an option to enable such a thing in KDE's menus. But looking in Google, I find posts from some Linux users who'd had the same thing, and it looks like I'd need to install a package called klaptopdaemon before anything's going to show in the menus.

Would anyone be kind enough to confirm to me that this is the package I need? Or if not, what would I need to install? I have used package managers before, but I'm more familiar with Windows and Mac and don't want to jump in with FreeBSD ports when I'm not even sure I'd be installing the right package.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Battery Indicator
PC-BSD includes a simple battery indicator, not sure if it is the one from DesktopBSD or self made but it's been on my laptop automatically since it's inception. Never asked for it so I never looked at how to turn it on, maybe it is a panel applet ?

I usually end up doing:

sysctl -a | grep battery

every now and then since I don't use KDE on my laptop [currently]
Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Battery Indicator
Originally Posted by TerryP
PC-BSD includes a simple battery indicator, not sure if it is the one from DesktopBSD or self made but it's been on my laptop automatically since it's inception. Never asked for it so I never looked at how to turn it on, maybe it is a panel applet ?
Thanks, Terry.

If it has it by default, then I wonder if it's installed with CD2. Although I saw CD2 had some extra software on, from what I could see it was mostly language packs, and as I didn't have another blank CD hanging around I skipped it.