Old 02-18-2008, 02:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to saigonnezumi
Default Linux Mint - Awesome
It is hard to believe but I think I found PC-BSD's counterpart over in the Linux World.

I tried out Linux Mint this weekend. It is essentially Ubuntu but with the propriety media codecs installed. I got it working out of the box with my Thinkpad T60. Quite pleasant.

What really impresses me the most is the similarity of Linux Mint's Software Portal with PC-BSD's PBI. Installing software from teh Software Portal is just as easy as installing a PBI.

I will play around with it a little more and introduce it to my students next week.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Linux Mint - Awesome
I could get used to that web design (colour scheme) but find the content a bit lacking compared to the wiki.

I like this though:

What about proprietary software?

We believe in open source and release all our work with the corresponding source code. We owe a lot to the Free Software movement and to the GPL but we also owe a lot to all the developers who contributed ideas and tools and who made software better and better throughout the years. Some of them released their source code as well and thus granted us more freedom and more flexibility. Others released their software with proprietary licenses and although this didn't give us the freedom we would have liked it still contributed to make software better. We like Software in general, Free Software even more, but we do not believe in boycotting Proprietary Software.

Linux Mint is free of charge (thanks to your donations and adverts on the website) and we hope you'll enjoy it.

Some of the packages we distribute are under the GPL. If you want to access their source code you can use the apt-get source command. If you can't find what you're looking for please write to root AT linuxmint DOT com and we'll provide the source to you.

--

Hmm, I think I might add this to my 'collection' of BSD and GNU/Linux install disks after FreeBSD 7-Release hits the airways.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to saigonnezumi
They are fairly new compared to the bigger guys but in regards to content, Linux Mint users can use Ubuntu/Debian Howto websites and wikis for their configuration needs. Their forum is pretty good as well. With my Thinkpad, I really did not have to configure anything which is nice.

A definite A++ in my book for the distro
Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
With the exception of Ubuntu (6.06 tested) most Linux distros don't like my test machine, Debian Sarge included lool.

FreeBSD 6.x has given me the best hardware support of any operating system I've used, tying with if not surpassing Windows XP.

Linux distros OTOH I usually have to kick a few times to get working 100% :\

config wise, I'm used to the BSD's but other then the "lots of **** here" feeling I got when looking in Slackwares /etc directory it's never been a problem for me.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by TerryP
config wise, I'm used to the BSD's but other then the "lots of **** here" feeling I got when looking in Slackwares /etc directory it's never been a problem for me.
Have you tried archlinux? I've heard its very bsd-like.

As for linux mint, well we all know the benefits of bundling binary blobs. The project looks well intended, but I guess their efforts would yield better results if were integrated as a branch of ubuntu.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 AM

Not yet but it was strongly considered for one of my machines.

Until I decided I didn't want a BSD like Linux Distro when I could just run OpenBSD :-)
Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 AM

"Linux Mint - Awesome" for what and for whom?

Just another desktop oriented Linux distro full of binary blobs and almost as secure as Windows :? . If that kind of stuff is what satisfies your computer needs why don't you run Linspare or similar commercial desktop distro of Linux. For about $30 you will get far more drivers than with Linux Mint and great commercial support. No need to waist the time on various forums.

Even better, run OS X. It is far more stable, better configured, more "user friendly", and with the best media support around than any of that Linux cr*p. Everything works out of box. You can even go around and claim that you run BSD :wink: .

Yes, I also run only OpenBSD like Terry but I am fully aware that it is wrong choice for the 99.9999% people. It is awesome for me but sucks for most of the people.

@Terry

Yes Arche looks very similar to BSD. A friend of mine, an old Linux guru used to run it.
He claimed that actually the best Desktop version of Linux is Frugalware but it came out too late for him. He switched to FreeBSD. And no I did not have any influence on his decision.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 AM

i couldn´t a word about the sw packages dependencies. :roll:
Old 02-19-2008, 11:58 AM

ArchLinux is a nice Linux distro (pacman or abs) but in terms of quality and reliability it's lightyears behind most major players (*BSD, Debian, Slack). Today I would go with Debian and Slackware only because of comparable quality. About 3-4 years ago Linux (Slack/Debian) was my favorite operating system since 94/95, but after seeing *BSD it was obvious: there is more than just hype and features. If I want to tinker I choose Linux, if I want to work, it's BSD. Mac OS X/Windows (alas I have to work with both of them) are commercial crap in my opinion. Designed to lure the user into their money machine.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM

I'm not certain what Linux Mint is trying to solve. It's like an answer without a question.

Ubuntu is perfectly fine on its own, and almost all the restricted goodies that Mint adds are in Ubuntu's repositories. The one really killer app that Mint has introduced is remastersys, and you can add that to Ubuntu.

I guess switching from Orange to Green is a competitive advantage.

Now, I have been tempted by Arch, but right now, my Linux desktop is the latest Alpha of Ubuntu. Really nice, 100x better than Gutsy, even with the random alpha errors.