Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 PM

Default Dual Display nvidia configuration -- easy way...
after the default install you may find that your dual displays will not function properly, only one may be displaying while the other is showing garbage color or going into sleep mode.

Well that's no good, you have 2 (or more) monitors cause it's nice to have a lot more desktop space!!! Screw this, let's get these bad boy's workin'!

you may be saying to yourself 'Uhm, I'm not really that confident with editing configuration files'.
It's cool, neither am I. I did it the easy way... or I think it's the easy way, there could be a more efficient way to do it, but hey, this worked for me, so back off!

sorry, uhm, what was I talking about???

Yeah, making more then one monitor work thus making your computer that much more bad ass!

Ok, ready? you look that monitor straight in the face and you say
Code:
"Work! Noooo! Wooork!"
Nothing?
Yeah, to be honest with ya' I wasn't fully expecting it to do anything, but it was worth the shot, right?
yeah...

Ok, seriously, here's what I did: download the drivers for your model nvidia card (or cards) and then download the nvidia settings program.
Install both and you'll probably have to reboot the computer.

Now, assuming both installed ok, you need to run the nvidia settings program as root.
Go to your K Menu -> PBI Programs -> nvidia -> nvidia settings: right click the settings program and select 'Put into Run Dialog'

At this point you should see a 'Run Dialog' box pop up with the path to the settings program. Go to the front of that line and then type in 'kdesu ' (please note the extra space).
Press enter.

kdesu (if you're not sure or don't know) is KDE's equivalent to, you guessed it, *nix's su command. su, by itself, gives you root privileges but in this case it's allowing the nvidia settings program to execute with root privileges. if you execute the settings tool with out root privi's it won't be able to overwrite the xconfig file.

from here, if you've ever used nvidia's settings tools on windows, it should be fairly simple.

I run 2 monitors side by side (as im sure alot of you do, but there are other configurations) so i did this:

xserver display configuration:selected to configure my second monitor to the right of screen 0, enabled xinerama, saved it to my x configuration file and quit.

restart the computer and you should be good to go.

if you where having the same problem i was, i hope this helped.
and if not, i hope you got a little bit of a chuckle out of it.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_169.07.html <- obviously, latest nvidia
drivers

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/n...ngs-1.0.tar.gz
^ maybe not so obviously, the configuration tool.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Dual Display nvidia configuration -- easy way...
This so makes me wish I could afford to build my Esmeralda... complete with her 5 monitors and RAID array :'(
Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by TerryP
This so makes me wish I could afford to build my Esmeralda... complete with her 5 monitors and RAID array :'(
One day. It'll happen for ya.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
same odds of winning the lottery :'(
Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Just an update. this guide is still valid after patching to 1.5, but the link provided to the configuration tool was downloading corrupt for me.
I found a page that provided some help and I thought I'd post it here because this seems like an important thing (to me anyway).
http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_1.0-8174.html
Old 04-22-2008, 01:43 PM

i'm planniong to install x64 pcbsd... i have a dual monitor setup.. but this driver seems made for x86 version... will it work anyway?
thanks!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 PM

Given the nature of such things I would expect that OS for X84 needs drivers for X64 too.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 PM

mmm i did what you said ..
but when booting up , the system , after displayng nvidia logo on booth screes for an instant it gets back to command prompt sayng "login", and freezes.. until i reboot...
any idea why is doing that?
i installed nvidia configuration utility from ports.. is that fine?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:30 PM

I only use the X86 version of systems, I've heard nVidia drivers for 64-Bit *nix are a bit lacking.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by kurageart
i'm planniong to install x64 pcbsd... i have a dual monitor setup.. but this driver seems made for x86 version... will it work anyway?
thanks!
sorry for the serious delay...

if you installed the x86 version of the drivers with the 64bit os, that would probably lock your system up. Unfortunately until more operating systems become 64 bit compatible we probably won't be seeing nvidia compiling 64bit driver code. So in short, I agree with Terry here.