Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 PM

Default webcam support
Hi!
Does PC-BSD have support for Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000? Is there any list of full webcam support?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: webcam support
Originally Posted by karantan
Hi!
Does PC-BSD have support for Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000? Is there any list of full webcam support?
No, you can not take a video stream! Check the following drivers spcaview, pwcbsd i snx101util from the ports three for the webcam support under freebsd. Spcaview is
Linux driver but is not fully cabale as in Linux.

Best you can do is using pwcbsd driver http://raaf.atspace.org/#app. You can take the stream and even with small patches get some of key applications to recognize that you have a web-cam

If you want to use webcam on Ekiga just a note that Ekiga is currently broken.
Check last week questions@freebsd.org for patch

Skype 2.0 has to be compiled manually. You have to pick the Skype packet for OSS with static libraries. I do not know of anybody who was able successfully to use Skype 2.0 with video on FreeBSD. Skype 2.0 should work on FreeBSD if you know what are you doing.
The one in ports is 1.4. Now Skype 2.0 with video that would be a serious hack.

I use OpenBSD and OpenBSD doesn't support ALSA compatibility layer intensionally so that people could not use Skype period due to security concerns. We use pjsip and it works on 4.2 current as a charm. No video though and idiotic GUI. pjsip is command line client.

Sorry for bad news. If you need such things you are far better of with Linux or proprietary operating systems.

Best,
Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 PM

tanx... so which linux is the most similar to fBSD that supports Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000? I don't use linux (fBSD only...) so i'm not very familiar with the distributions...
Old 01-02-2008, 07:19 PM

tanx... so which linux is the most similar to fBSD that supports Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000? I don't use linux (fBSD only...) so i'm not very familiar with the distributions...
If you know what are you doing use Arch for the desktop. Configuration is similar to FreeBSD.

Maybe Sabayon if you like Gentoo's ports which are not as good as FreeBSD ports.
I heard good things about Frugalware from Arch users.

All above distros are for more or less competent users and have cutting edge features like
Skype with video and etc.

Best!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to Protagonist
I have been able to successfully set up a Logitech Quickcam Fusion Ultra in Ubuntu 7.10 so yours might also work. You wil have to download and install the .deb version of Skype 2 beta and be sure to go to the options and set the input to the USB mike in the list.
There are alternatives
--------------------------------------