Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Intel 3945ABG & WPA2, how?
Hi,
Is there any easy solution for PCBSD 1.4.1 to use Intel 3945ABG drivers with WPA2 encryption? I'm rookie on BSD platform, so i need basic instructions. Thanks for your help.
Machine:
Sony VAIO VGN-FE11H
Intel 3945ABG
Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Intel 3945ABG & WPA2, how?
According to this WPA is not currently supported in the driver for this card.

http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi

In fact according to the wiki link, the driver itself is none too stable.

Yep, its a bummer, and a deal killer as far a PC-BSD goes for me too.

This is a widely used network card and it boggles the mind that full support does not exist.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by rshol
According to this WPA is not currently supported in the driver for this card.

http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi

In fact according to the wiki link, the driver itself is none too stable.

Yep, its a bummer, and a deal killer as far a PC-BSD goes for me too.

This is a widely used network card and it boggles the mind that full support does not exist.
Did you read man pages for
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?port ... /pkg-descr

An idiotic WiFi card which works well on FreeBSD
(link to full list http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/ALTQ_drivers) is under $20 on NewEgg.com. In particular pay attention to wi driver.

Having zfs file system, ULE scheduler, running 48 out of 50 longest running servers and being 20% faster than a Linux 2.6 kernel is priceless.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 PM

We have to remember that most of the time, those wireless chipsets are integrated into notebook computers, so adding a pcmcia or usb dongle to get wifi is inconvenient, at least.

I'm unaware if ndiswrapper would work in this case.

(sorry for using the thread as rant, this is not intended per se to address the question's author)

That doesn't undermine the fact that most users not only request, but demand their systems working out of the box. And that is partly the fault of pcbsd promesing this illusion. This is not just incosiderate, but rude, and ruder for the fact that the board admins have gone a while now and now most issues are solved with quick hacks or traditonal freebsd troubleshooting from board volunteers who in many cases have little to no patience or tolerance for inexperienced users, which is absolutely fscking understandable.

Those inexperienced users shoud also be aware that even though sometimes they get one or two rude answers, they get them, even though they provide zero to none information. You can't say the same from, say, an ubuntu board ("get the latest festyxyz and make sure insert-no-brainer-excuse-here, reinstall and come back later".

I've already said so, we got no crystal ball, and even though many attempt to figure out whats wrong with one liners such as "my network card doesnt work. wanna wanna. take me step by step, i'm noob. specs compaq with wifi".

I'll end this with a well known rant...
Quote:
Computers Are Hard

Accept it. Move on. Your life will be much simpler.

Accept that it'll take work. Accept that it'll take learning. Accept that it'll take trial and error. Accept that it'll mean just accepting things without understanding why until further down the road.
I've accepted and paid due price.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:46 PM

I'm sorry instead of telling him what doesn't work you can tell him how it might work, http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/iwi-freebsd.html here is a page about this the IWI driver is supposed to work with WPA ! Though I haven't been able to make it work yet, on the other hand I haven't dedicated much time on trying.. because I didn't have time to try yet.

And an other thing the 2100 & 2200 drivers do not work on the 3945ABG, at least not when I tried doing it i think it always recognized my wifi card as a firewire card of some kind.

also check /usr/ports/net type ls | grep -i iwi or ls grep -i ipw

the only bsd/linux that worked with my graphics card and even wificard so far was Xubuntu LIVECD, all other I have tried never recognized my wifi at all.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM

Try this topic, or this writeup. Just follow the instructions for your particular card. You can use the windows drivers and ndiswrapper and it should hopefully work. Good luck!