Old 10-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Default floppy drive
I want to be able to see my floppy drive in any file manager and read and write to it. I tried to do it by right clicking on the desktop and adding it "create new > link to device > floppy device" KDE adds the icon to the desktop but when I click on it I get "/home/my_home/Destop/floppy is of the type fsdevice but has no Dev= entry" I tried adding a line to the fstab but that didn't work either.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: floppy drive
OK, after doing a bit of reading I think what I'm asking is the following: Can the floppy drive be auto-mounted at boot? I figure I can link it with the KDE desktop options or see it with Konqueror if it can be auto-mounted. If the answer is yes, then how do I do it? I can manually mount and umount it. The CD auto-mounts so there is a package somewhere that does it. From the posts I've looked at this is part of HAL, but so far I haven't found anything that explains how to make the floppy detected like the CD is. I guess next I'll try and see what folks do about zip drives, which I assume resemble floppies in how they are accessed.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 AM

Not sure if it will help, but you should be able to open a floppy by typing media:/fd0/ in Konqueror's Location toolbar. You can then make a bookmark to it of course.

You can even make a link to location (using the same URL) on the desktop if you like.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by cackerso
OK, after doing a bit of reading I think what I'm asking is the following: Can the floppy drive be auto-mounted at boot? I figure I can link it with the KDE desktop options or see it with Konqueror if it can be auto-mounted. If the answer is yes, then how do I do it? I can manually mount and umount it. The CD auto-mounts so there is a package somewhere that does it. From the posts I've looked at this is part of HAL, but so far I haven't found anything that explains how to make the floppy detected like the CD is. I guess next I'll try and see what folks do about zip drives, which I assume resemble floppies in how they are accessed.
Ok,
PC-BSD doesn't mount floppy by default as very few people are still using it (like me) but it is very simple.
Step 1

edit
/etc/devfs.conf

perm /dev/fd0 0666

Edit

/etc/fstab
/dev/fd0 /usr/home/Pedja/mnt/floppy msdosfs rw, noauto 0 0

where

/usr/home/Pedja/mnt/floppy is my mounting point

Reboot the computer without the floppy disk in the floppy drive.
After the reboot when you insert floppy click on Computer(I do not know equivalent in KDE as I am using Gnome) you should see the floppy. When you click on it, it will automatically mount and you can use as any other file system.
You have to umount (you can do it through GUI at least on my Gnome) before you
pull out floppy as you will compromise data.

You can format floppy with the comand fdformat (read man fdformat to see how)
You can also write this on the floppy either by coping file by file with cp comand or
using dd utility if you want let say to create bootable floppy (read man dd)
Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Thank you for the help.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:48 AM

Sorry to return to such an old topic but if I move the slider on a floppy to write-protect it, any attempt to mount it results in a "read-only file system" error and it is not mounted. Is there any way round this other than altering rw to ro in fstab?