Old 09-23-2007, 09:26 PM

Default How to install the kernel source code ?
I try to install the Asterisk iptelephony server.

I have first downloaded and installed the FreeBSD port tree, and this worked OK. Among these ports I also found Asterisk and Zaptel.

So far so good .. but .. when I started the installation process I were awere that the installer asked for the kernel source code.

Does anybody know how to install the kernel souce code in a easy way on PCBSD ?

By the way, I am aware that I'm doing things that might breake my PCBSD installation, but I accept that, as I find it very interesting to see if Asterisk can be installed and run on it. One reason for this is that PCBSD already has a sip telephony client, and by combining Asterisk and the client on one PC it is possible to set up a very advanced and flexible telephony solution, on top the PCBSD installation. Something like a Note book workstation with a built in SIP telephone and PBX switchboard might be quite possible, doing free calls around in the world, etc.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 AM

What version are you using? In the 1.4 development versions, you can install ALL source, including the kernel source, by going to 'Control Center>Software And Updates>Add/Remove Software>Optional Components' and choosing to install the system source, which will be installed under '/sys'. As for exactly what file(s) you need to give Asterisk, I haven't a clue.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 AM

Thanks a lot for info !

I rearanged a little bit and made the installation as a minimum installation that did not require the kernel source code. While deselecting a lot of options the need for kernel souce code wan't there anymore.

It compiled and went in and it looks like that it is running and working, even though I I have not mede the full testing yet.

Will be looking into how to do a bigger installation with sourcode a litle bit later on. (The sourcode were needed to install the Zaptel module that is normally a part of the Asterisk distro. I believe that it is needed only if you want to connect the PC to the telenet directely via a telecard. If you manage all trafic as iptelephony I think this module is not needed, but I have not tested yet.)

By the way one speciality with a Asterisk installation on PCBSD is that the configuration files ends up an other place than the normal place, so I first thought that the installation was incomplete.