Old 09-20-2007, 06:19 PM

Default A simple way to share files and foldes in a network
Would be useful for a home server or many other situations. I know that you can edit smb.conf, and that's good, but sometimes you just need a simple share, and for that to edit the conf file is overkill (my point of view, of course). Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Re: A simple way to share files and foldes in a network
Originally Posted by tommy_yanez
Would be useful for a home server or many other situations. I know that you can edit smb.conf, and that's good, but sometimes you just need a simple share, and for that to edit the conf file is overkill (my point of view, of course). Thanks.
How about if you use Opera web browser with built in ftp and bittorrent clients?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM

i think it is not a smart solution to do this with a ftp (opera).
Old 09-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dingens
i think it is not a smart solution to do this with a ftp (opera).
Me neither. I'm thinking of something like "right click-Share...-Open window with options and permissions". I know Xandros can do it well, why not PCBSD?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 PM

I have no idea what do you want to do?

sftp, ftp, bittorrenti ? What kind of file sharing crap?

You want sftp just type in the shell sftp username@servername.whatever and use put and get commands. You do not like that use Filezila GUI. You do not like that use 11 other GUI applications for sftp.

You have a slue of FTP servers and clients in ports the same goes for bittorrenti?

I suggested the simplest idiotic solution.
If there is a specific application for file sharing you are more than wellcome to port it for FreeBSD.

You do understand however that at the end of the day will boil down to to what I mentioned.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:02 PM

he meant a privat network at home.
I'm thinking of something like "right click-Share...-Open window with options and permissions". I know Xandros can do it well, why not PCBSD?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dingens
he meant a privat network at home.
I'm thinking of something like "right click-Share...-Open window with options and permissions". I know Xandros can do it well, why not PCBSD?
It is trivial to crate private network of Unix machines. Since I use Gnome I noticed that there are even graphics tools to do this although I do all my config from the shell.

I do not use Windows but I think samba is the application which he is looking for if he wants to have clients running windows on his local network. It is in default installation.

Am I wrong or the objection is that he needs to edit one or two files?

He still can use sftp or filezila for some file sharing in his local network just by typing
username@192.XXX.XX.XX (stands for the local address of the Unix machine).
Of course he will not be able to do that to Windows machines but from Windows client to Unix is no problem.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:31 PM

For me (i'm not a BSD literate or any OS literate, by the way) "the simplest idiotic way" as you call it would be to right clic a folder, select an option like "Share files and folders" and then assign permissions. Just a shared folder in a private network (be a home/office/school/whatever). Windows can do this, Xandros OCE can do it very well; in PC-BSD 1.3, you need to edit smb.conf to create shared folders. That, for a single folder shared in the network, is overkill. But again, that's just my point of view. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 PM

For me (i'm not a BSD literate or any OS literate, by the way) "the simplest idiotic way" as you call it would be to right clic a folder, select an option like "Share files and folders" and then assign permissions. Just a shared folder in a private network (be a home/office/school/whatever). Windows can do this, Xandros OCE can do it very well; in PC-BSD 1.3, you need to edit smb.conf to create shared folders. That, for a single folder shared in the network, is overkill. But again, that's just my point of view. Thanks.
The application you are suggesting might be appealing to some PC-BSD users or Windows converts but to a FreeBSD user like me has no value what so ever. Moreover "your way" of sharing files is unacceptable in production environment (school, work or even at home if you are serious user) as setting up local network is right thing to do.

There are lots of things that Windows can do and FreeBSD cannot (like playing video games full of flash) and vise verse there are lot of things that FreeBSD can do it but Windows cannot (staying up for the extensive periods of time like 10-15 years without rebooting and serving millions of files and client machines).

To me it is all about choice. It is really up to you as a user to make an inform decision when selecting an OS and make sure your primary needs are well satisfied by your OS of choice. If the particular application (not available on BSD) is so important to you I would reconsider using BSD.

I do admit that using FreeBSD requires significant effort (even PC-BSD) from the first time user (sys admin) but the assumption is that you are novice user for a short period of time(while learning) and you use an OS whole your life.

Comparing FreeBDS to Linux (any of its 360 distros or whatever) is like comparing Apples and Oranges.
FreeBSD has very different philosophy and set of goals and I am first to admit that it might not be appealing to many Linux users (otherwise they would not be using GNU/Linux but BSD).
Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oko
The application you are suggesting might be appealing to some PC-BSD users or Windows converts but to a FreeBSD user like me has no value what so ever. Moreover "your way" of sharing files is unacceptable in production environment (school, work or even at home if you are serious user) as setting up local network is right thing to do.
Well, then don't use it. But that's not a reason why it could not be done, or why i cannot ask for this.

Originally Posted by Oko
There are lots of things that Windows can do and FreeBSD cannot (like playing video games full of flash) and vise verse there are lot of things that FreeBSD can do it but Windows cannot (staying up for the extensive periods of time like 10-15 years without rebooting and serving millions of files and client machines).
I know and i understand the diferences. I don't want to run HalfLife 2 on PC-BSD, neither i want to serve thousands of web pages with XP Home. I just want to share some files in a network. I can't use Windows XP because i don't have enough licenses. I thought about Linux for a while, but then i remembered PC-BSD, and here i am.

Originally Posted by Oko
To me it is all about choice. It is really up to you as a user to make an inform decision when selecting an OS and make sure your primary needs are well satisfied by your OS of choice. If the particular application (not available on BSD) is so important to you I would reconsider using BSD.
It's not that there's an application that's not available; it's more of a feature that is already integrated in the OS. I'm just asking for a simple way of using it. If it's not doable, it's OK, but again, this is no reason for not asking for it.

Originally Posted by Oko
I do admit that using FreeBSD requires significant effort (even PC-BSD) from the first time user (sys admin) but the assumption is that you are novice user for a short period of time(while learning) and you use an OS whole your life.
I agree. And thank God for this forum and people like you and everybody else for helping BSD "rookies" like me.

Originally Posted by Oko
Comparing FreeBDS to Linux (any of its 360 distros or whatever) is like comparing Apples and Oranges.
FreeBSD has very different philosophy and set of goals and I am first to admit that it might not be appealing to many Linux users (otherwise they would not be using GNU/Linux but BSD).
That sounds more like an excuse than a reason. If the linux people can do it, then i see no reason why the BSD developers can't.