Old 09-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Can't get parallel printer working
Hello,
I just installed 1.4RC and can't get my parallel HP LajerJet 1100 working. HP Device Manager doesn't work.
"Could not add a locally attached parallel printer because that option was greyed out in the KDEPrinter Add printer wizard. "
I tried the guidelines of http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?t ... 0c0a73dc13 without any success.
I added:
own lpt0 root:cups
perm lpt0 0660
to /etc/devfs.conf and
add path 'lpt*' mode 666 group cups
to etc/devfs.rules

Here is what I get:
# ps -auxw | grep cupsd
root 1114 0.0 0.3 4328 2676 ?? Is 9:33PM 0:06.02 /usr/local/sbin/cupsd

# dmesg | grep lp
module_register: module uhub/ulpt already exists!
Module uhub/ulpt failed to register: 17
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

Trying "lptest 20 20 > /dev/lpt0" prints nothing, but the printer light is blinking endlessly.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Can't get parallel printer working
Originally Posted by yorgo
Hello,
I just installed 1.4RC and can't get my parallel HP LajerJet 1100 working. HP Device Manager doesn't work.
"Could not add a locally attached parallel printer because that option was greyed out in the KDEPrinter Add printer wizard. "
I tried the guidelines of http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?t ... 0c0a73dc13 without any success.
I added:
own lpt0 root:cups
perm lpt0 0660
to /etc/devfs.conf and
add path 'lpt*' mode 666 group cups
to etc/devfs.rules

Here is what I get:
# ps -auxw | grep cupsd
root 1114 0.0 0.3 4328 2676 ?? Is 9:33PM 0:06.02 /usr/local/sbin/cupsd

# dmesg | grep lp
module_register: module uhub/ulpt already exists!
Module uhub/ulpt failed to register: 17
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

Trying "lptest 20 20 > /dev/lpt0" prints nothing, but the printer light is blinking endlessly.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Ok,

First thing first. The lptest 20 >dev/lpt0 will NOT work since original lp command is probably hidden or completely erased. That is common for the system that
use CUPS as you want to unlock CUPS lp command. That is the first thing.

I hate to say this but I am starting to worry that something is very wrong with PC-BSD printing set up. That is not good and developers should take a clue from all these posts.

I use pure FreeBSD so I would encourage you to start thinking of your PC-BSD box more as pure FreeBSD box and try to follow the following

http://dsteinbrook.googlepages.com/hpliponfreebsd

since according to Linux Printing (YES FreeBSD uses absolutely the same PPD so what works on Linux will work on FreeBSD when it comes to printing)

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cg ... erJet_1100

The problem is that it is writen for FreeBSD and PC-BSD runs customized kernel. I absolutely have no clue what they did with printing but I am sure I could get your printer working in FreeBSD in 5 minutes.

I do apologize to you in the name of FreeBSD guys. It is funny that you can not use with PC-BSD one of best supported printers in open source.
Your printer even does not need CUPS or HPLIP to work. It sould work out of box as line printer.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:11 AM

Yorgo wrote:
"I just installed 1.4RC and can't get my parallel HP LajerJet 1100 working. HP Device Manager doesn't work.
'Could not add a locally attached parallel printer because that option was greyed out in the KDEPrinter Add printer wizard.'"

Yorgo,

In some earlier snapshots, likely including RC1 though I can't remember at the moment, the local printer option remained grayed out regardless. But it works in the Wed Sep 19 snapshot with my Laserjet 5N, using the 5M driver as the closest available. So the first thing to do is to try that later version.

Have the printer powered up and ready before starting the wizard. And strangely enough, wait a minute or two after starting the wizard before attempting to add the printer. The wizard seems to be very slow at getting itself set up after it looks ready to use, even on a fairly fast PC. If the local option is grayed out, close the wizard, wait a minute and try it again and it should appear. Yes, it sounds voodoo, but that's what's worked for me, twice so far, when the local printer option was grayed out at first.

-rsc
Old 09-24-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Problem solved
Thank you for your answers,
today I justed booted PC-BSD and the printer just worked! I don't know how that happened, but my HP LaserJet 1100 now works!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 AM

How can I connect a wired printer to my wireless network using a wireless router?
I have a wireless network: a wireless modem connected to a DSL line that connects wirelessly to my computer. My printer has a wired ethernet port. I have a spare router with wireless capability that I could connect to this printer. Without wiring my printer to my modem (they are in different rooms), can I use this router to get my wireless printer to talk to my computer - either via the modem or directly to my wireless card in my compter - whatever is possible. Thanks!