Old 08-17-2007, 01:19 AM

Default can't exec getty
Well i started installing PC-BSD and in the middle of the booting process it throws up some message like this

init:can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' on port ttyv0 No such file or directory

I cannot understand what it means. I have tried Desktop BSD also. It also throws up the same error. Anybody encountered such a problem? I am desperate actually to install BSD in my system. I thought first i could try out some with nice GUI before switching to the ones without GUI. But both PC-BSD and Desktop BSD have failed with the same error. Can anyone please help me?

My hardware specs (in case it is needed) are
Intel pentium 4 processor 1.9Ghz
Intel 845 motherboard
512 MB RAM

Expecting a positive reply :cry:
Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to putu
I think you have installation source problem :roll:

Did you download the installer CD correctly ?

Did you burn the CD properly ?

Perhaps MD5 ? :roll:
Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 AM

I had checked out the md5 before burning.... it is perfect... it burnt perfectly too.. i do not know whats the problem... somebody help me...
Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Pesistent error loading disk image
Yup, same problem on reboot after install.

At the end of what appeared to be a normal installation PCBSD reported an error extracting the disk image and recommended restarting in safe mode. That's only useful if you know what you're looking for.

I tried burning several CDs with different media and burners and all at 8X - same problem.

I also noticed when BSD is loading, it spit out an error that and ACPI file could not be found.

...Jeff
Old 09-04-2007, 03:52 AM

I couldnt install at all.... :cry:
Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Possible Explanation
I was getting this error as well, and after a bit of research on the other FreeBSD forums I found that it's because my DVD burner is SATA. Apparently SATA ATAPI is unsupported in FreeBSD 6.2.
If anyone has a solution to this, please post. I'm going to see about hooking up a PATA optical drive and seeing if there's a difference.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Carpetsmoker Send a message via AIM to Carpetsmoker Send a message via MSN to Carpetsmoker Send a message via Yahoo to Carpetsmoker
SATA is supported, it's just a bit new and far from perfect.

If you have an PATA drive lying around, then just use that one, it's probably the easier sollution.

You may want to check your SATA cables, for reasons beyond my understanding unshielded cables seem to be pretty common, which can lead to data corruption.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 AM

Default I'm not crazy
I still haven't tried an installation from an IDE optical drive, but I did find confirmation of the issue here:
http://www.mydatabasesupport.com/forums ... ipset.html

Although this is specifically for the ICH8 southbridges, that is what I'm running. I have found a solution, however:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free ... 23225.html

Is there any possibility that this patch could be included in the final release?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: can't exec getty
I have the same problem, but because I'm new to the way of the nerd (this is intended as a badge of honor for nerds, not an insult), I don't even know how to set the patch up. Should I compile it with gcc or something? Then what? And for if I AM meant to compile it with gcc, how exactly do I do that?

Because I am a newbie, I'll need a fairly simple explanation. I'm not afraid of manuals, either, but I'd like to be given some guidance, even if it's just pointing to manuals, because I'm not even sure what operating system to learn to master - I've tried many, most of which haven't been very good. I believe that this is mainly due to me using KDE with them; I plan to install gnome or even XFCE with PC-BSD.

Once I find out which I wish to learn to use, I'll probably settle down a bit more and begin mastery (I've already read some Linux tutorials, including that at Tille's Homepage and the Debian tutorial, so I've learned some bash skills and about the Linux filesystem - I assume this to be useful for BSD Unix).

Kind regards,

Nihilist Nerd
Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: can't exec getty
Same problem too.

IF there's an easy way to fix I'd like to know.

1.4rc installed OK. But 1.4 has the error cited in this thread.