Old 08-09-2007, 04:01 AM

Default FreeBSD & binary packages
I picked up a copy of FreeBSD 6 Unleashed and version 6.2 of FreeBSD to see how hard it really is. The installer was well put together and in minutes, I had a minimal install ready to go.

However, I found that compiling from the ports takes an extremely long time and after compiling Xorg for 2 hours, I got sick of looking at it. Are their binaries for the latest ports or am I stuck building from source to get the urgent security updates?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to g0lem
you can try
Code:
# pkg_add -r xorg
but i don't guarantee there are any binaries. you're free to try, though :P
Old 08-09-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by g0lem
you can try
Code:
# pkg_add -r xorg
but i don't guarantee there are any binaries. you're free to try, though :P
Good guess, but no, the xorg binary is at 6.9, whereas the newest one in ports is 7.2 Fortunately, a couple of FreeBSD gods created PC-BSD so people like me won't have to compile.

Thanks anyway, but since PC-BSD really is FreeBSD, that book should work with mostly everything so I'll just continue to use PC-BSD.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:42 PM

Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...stable/Latest/
Code:
pkg_add -r xorg
that will get you xorg 7.2
Old 08-15-2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by kitche
Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...stable/Latest/
Code:
pkg_add -r xorg
that will get you xorg 7.2
Thanks! Now that setenv variable, does that get stored into some sort of configuration file for pkg_add or is it just for the csh?

Also, will this change work with freebsd-update?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to marc
I like compiling, but only if it`s a small module/program or kernel [it takes some precious time though ... :/ ].
In the other case compilation is a nightmare. I prefer to use binary packages whenever I can.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by marc
I like compiling, but only if it`s a small module/program or kernel [it takes some precious time though ... :/ ].
In the other case compilation is a nightmare. I prefer to use binary packages whenever I can.
I agree. That's why I don't understand the folk who say, "Well, it only took me 12 hours to compile KDE." I can install a binary of KDE from Debian in 12 minutes! That's why I'm hoping the Debian/kFreeBSD port gets some more traction. The goodness of apt-get with the power of FreeBSD.

Looks like freebsd-update isn't working. :x
Quote:
pcbsd# freebsd-update fetch install
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 1 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from update1.FreeBSD.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 AM

Compiling enables you to have program customized for your computer. Ports are always updated first while binary packages might be unavailable even months after the ports three is updated as in the case of XOrg.

Of course porting heavily depends on the internet speed people with low speeds and older hardware (hardware quality determines the speed of compiling while internet connection determines the speed of downloading) should probably always try to use packages.

Some Linux distribution like Gentoo have also porting as default packaging option.

Ports are by far the most effective way of distributing software if you do not believe me try
Rad Hat Linux and you will see how much time you will need to spend to resolve dependentcies
by hand. Debian is better but 2 hours for default installation that is funny!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Ports are by far the most effective way of distributing software if you do not believe me try
Rad Hat Linux and you will see how much time you will need to spend to resolve dependencies.
by hand.
Not so anymore. Fedora and RHEL now include yum, which automatically resolves dependencies. RPM by hand is now a thing of the past.

Ports are only effective because the BSD devs made it that way (otherwise we wouldn't be using PC-BSD). Look at Debian Unstable, it gets all of the newest software, yet it is all in binary form, so it shows that it can be done.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by angryfirelord
Not so anymore. Fedora and RHEL now include yum, which automatically resolves dependencies. RPM by hand is now a thing of the past.
Yum is really good. That is a good point.
But you seems to have too much trust and love for binaries for the BSD guy. Are you sure you are not Windowzzz user?
I seldom
if ever install programs unless I can see the source code. I grow up in Eastern Europe so unless I see I do not trust much to intension of the person that is just giving me binaries like Bil Gates. It is just me.

Originally Posted by angryfirelord
Ports are only effective because the BSD devs made it that way (otherwise we wouldn't be using PC-BSD). Look at Debian Unstable, it gets all of the newest software, yet it is all in binary form, so it shows that it can be done.
I really do NOT know what you meant by first sentence.
By the way I do NOT use PC-BSD I use FreeBSD.

Speaking of second Debian has its own
philosophy and it is an excellent OS. If you like it, I would encourage that you use Debian.

I saw in another tread that you say you like Debian/FreeBSD which uses FreeBSD kernel and GNU user land.
What is wrong with Linux kernel? Why do you like better FreeBSD kernel?

Don't You trust Mr. Linux and his bodies :evil: They would be VERY happy to give you kernel
without the source.