Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Problems Adding 2nd Drive [Resolved]
Hi,

I'm at work now, so please forgive me, I'm going from memory here.....but, at home, I've got a standard PC with two drives/disks, one 80 gig SATA and one 40 gig SATA:

/dev/ad0

/dev/ad1s1

Respectively....

On install, PC BSD recognized both drives, but only gave me the option of actually mounting/using the primary drive, ad0.

[I couldn't see any way of mounting the secondary drive in fstab during installation.]

So, after installation, I went back in with Sysintall and, using fdisk, I added /dev/ad1s1 and also used Disk Label to format the 'slice.'

Then, I went back into /etc/fstab and added it, something like:

Disk Mount Point FS dump-freq pass-num

ad1s1 /dev/ad1s1 ufs 1, 1

in the usual manner....

When I went to reboot, fsck basically freaked out, saying it "couldn't find the disk....will try to check........can't check it....Arrrgh!" etc.

Sorry, don't recall the error message, but it was to the effect that fsck couldn't check either disk and now could not boot the OS and promptly dumped into a command line.

Again, sorry for the vagueness of the error message, but I'm at work and have no access to it here.

Based on the poor info I gave you here, does anyone have any idea of what I may have done wrong?

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.....

Thanks for bearing with me.

Mike :shock:

PS: upon further reading in this forum it occurs to me that I never created a mount point called /mnt/ad1s1. :idea:

Could that be the root of my problem? ops:
Old 05-10-2007, 11:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Quote:
PS: upon further reading in this forum it occurs to me that I never created a mount point called /mnt/ad1s1. :idea:

Could that be the root of my problem? ops:
Oh trust me I have done that too !!!