Old 03-06-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Newbie: defrag and registry question
Hi

I've recently converted to PCBSD from Windows. I'm still experimenting lots with installing and uninstalling programs here, there and everywhere. Will I get problems from a screwy registry somewhere down the line? In windows, cleaning the registry always was a good idea. How does it work in PCBSD?

How about disk defragmentation?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 04:26 AM

There is no 'registry' in PC-BSD. Once you delete a program, it's gone and if it was done right (and most are) nothing is left behind except maybe some configuration files in your home directory.

Unless your disk is nearly full, PC/FreeBSD disks don't get fragmented, you con't get spy/mailware and you don't get viruses :shock:
Old 03-06-2007, 04:35 AM

Wow! No viruses AT ALL???

I would have thought all OS will get their share of nasty people trying to break into computers and wrecking them cos they can. Surely PCBSD must have had some viruses/spyware/trojans??

I think even linux has had a few, no?

Maybe I'm wrong. This is very interesting. Maybe PCBSD was an even better choice than I thought![/b]
Old 03-06-2007, 05:03 AM

My latest research suggests the following numbers

Windows malware : > 150000
Linux : ca. 400 viruses
BSD : 0

There was one virus about 3 years ago that used a hole in the Apache webserver to get into the system. But a) that hole has been fixed, b) normal users do not run the Apache webserver.

So the current status is : BSD IS secure.
There might be some danger if you run Wine as root (=admin) and then manually start a virus (... why would one do that???...). But even then most viruses will just fail after some time and won't do so much damage.

Unlike with Windows, your BSD comes with a stable and long developed Firewall right from the start. (The XP firewall is a joke and nothing else)

PS : A very warm welcome to PC-BSD! Hope you like it!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to HealingLight
I pretty much agree Jenny I do believe there was a few viruses but it doesn't spread too fast. BSD teams just have a fix for it so quick it's not worth the bother for virus writers. For any OS running in admin account is just plain stupid.

This is the reason why I'm using PCBSD. Virtually no viruses and unlike linux the OS is stable and being constantly updated. I read debian linux wasn't being worked on for a few years at least security wise.

I like it that I don't have to shut down all programs to install a program. On windows you're suppose to shut down all programs being installing a program which is a pain.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Newbie: defrag and registry question
When you install a PBI, the information is stored in a text file that contains simple information to help its removal. Also when you install from ports/pkg it information is stored in /var/db/{ports,pkg}. Its well managed by the software for installing/uninstalling software so theres no problem. Trying to do any thing manually with /var/db/ports or /var/db/pkg would probably do much more harm to your system then any thing else. I've edited the file holding the PBI install data before, but its not necessary .

I think PC-BSD does/had have a small registry, its a plain text file some where (I forget where). All it is basically is used for is holding the PC-BSD version. Probably used when using patches. I once was reasonable fa miler with PC-BSD specifics but lack of documentation out side of the sources on how/why things were as they were and what not. I have not kept up with it for many versions. PC-BSD does not feel, 'right' to me in a number of ways..

Code:
PCReg Version 0.9
--------
PBReg <command> <key> <value>

Commands:
  get - Gets a variable from the registry
  set - Sets a variable specified by <value> in the registry

Examples:

# PBReg get /PC-BSD/Version
 # PBReg set /PC-BSD/Version 1.0
A useful system, the only relationship it has to a Registry as we know it from Windows. Is the name Registry. I don't think theres any thing to worry about here though hehehe.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Do I deinstall like this?
I have been installing things using the PBIs and using the ports. I'm wondering now if I'm doing the right thing if I want to uninstall.

When I want to uninstall PBIs, I go to KDE's K Menu > Settings > System Administration > PC-BSD Software Manager
I then type in my root password, select the software package I want and click remove. Is this a good way of getting rid of things?

If I installed from ports, I go to the same ports directory i got it from and type

#make deinstall clean

Then a whole bunch of stuff happens and it appears that my program is gone. Again, is this ok?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: Do I deinstall like this?
Yes thats the best way for PBI.

The best way to install stuff from ports/pkg is probably by using pkg_deinstall or pkg_delete.

An example of how I would uninstall mkmf

pkg_delete -x mkmf

Make deinstall clean should be fine if thats what you prefer. pkg_deinstall just might be less typing ;-)

pkg_info can be searched for the port/pkg to see if its still installed.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by GoldfrappJenny
My latest research suggests the following numbers

Windows malware : > 150000
Linux : ca. 400 viruses
BSD : 0
I was just a little curious as to where you got this information from. In the coming weeks, I'm going to try to present to a few people and my university to switch to PC-BSD (for our office computers- they're so virus ridden it's absolutely amazing...god bless China's pirated Windows XP) and I'd like to have some rock-solid facts like this to go with it.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:28 AM

There was once (8 years ago...) a project to write a Unix worm that was supposed to work with BSD well

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:syvO ... =clnk&cd=1

However, it was never released and I doubt that it would have really worked with todays kernels.

Other than that not one security company writes anything about BSD viruses, except for the Apache thing I mentioned earlier (http://www.symantec.com/security_respon ... 14-5031-99). And that one won't be even able to work anymore at all nowadays as that Apache hole is closed since years.

I searched all over, including underground sites. But I couldn't find any virus for BSD that's in the wild (means is active).