Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Default csup instead of cvsup
Quote:
csup is a rewrite of CVSup in C. One could rightfully wonder why we bother doing this; CVSup is fast, comes with full sources under a BSD license, and has proven to be a very robust software throughout years. This is not a religious language war; Modula-3, with its built-in threads support and other features fits perfectly for writing such a tool. What prompted this work is that the Modula-3 runtime environment has not been ported to all the architectures supported by the various *BSD projects, and it is becoming increasingly harder to find people for maintaining the code. Furthermore, having a C version of CVSup would allow us to put it in the base FreeBSD distribution instead of shipping it as a separate package.
http://www.mu.org/~mux/csup.html

install from ports:
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/net/csup
# make install clean
Old 01-14-2007, 03:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Theres just some thing about programs writen in C :-)
Old 01-18-2007, 01:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jdarnold Send a message via AIM to jdarnold Send a message via MSN to jdarnold Send a message via Yahoo to jdarnold
I think csup is in the base FreeBSD install now. And, IMHO, portsnap is better and faster than both anyway.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by jdarnold
I think csup is in the base FreeBSD install now. And, IMHO, portsnap is better and faster than both anyway.
Faster- yes, better- no. I can explain my though: if I modify some port and then want original port configuration back then with portsnap I can'd do that- it won't check port changes between updates, with csup/cvsup I can restore old behaviour.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jdarnold Send a message via AIM to jdarnold Send a message via MSN to jdarnold Send a message via Yahoo to jdarnold
True, but yours is, I'll wager, a very rare case. Very few people muck with the ports tree directly, and of those, even fewer would care to go back.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:17 AM

If you use portsnap with fetch / update command, then it only updates new things. But if you give it extract command, then it will completely rebuild ports tree losing user changes.
So you have all options open.