Old 01-06-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Python and IDLE
Hello

I cannot run IDLE as I get the error saying that it 'cannot import TK please ensure that it is installed'. I have always understood that TKinter was the default python GUI library.

Now does anyone know of a python editor that works under PCBSD?

At the moment I have to edit the file in a text editor and then right click on the file and open with python - or run it from the command line to get debugging info - but an integrated programming editor would be nice

Any ideas?

Regards
JMan
Old 01-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Didn't know Python had standard GUI now, but you should be able to install the x11-toolkits/py-tkinter bindings form ports or pkg

My suggests for programming editors are usually Vim, Emacs, Kate, jEdit, KDevelop, or Eric in case of Python.

I like Kate because I have a fine editor with a file browser and Console built in. So its instant access to gcc, javac, python, irb, perl e.t.c. (Most programmers editors should be the same way). Sort of an IDE without the IDE, Emacs and Vim much the same with the 'usual' interface styles.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:57 AM

Default It worked
Hey it worked - thanks for that - I wonder why it didn't include the TKinter library in the first place ... check this out ..

http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter

Anyway it worked. I have seen that there is an editor called Stani's python editor and I believe it is in the ports system somewhere as soon as I find it I will give it a try - BTW is there an easy way to search the ports tree?

Cheers
JMan
Old 01-07-2007, 02:17 AM

In a terminal, su to root and
Code:
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/psearch && make install clean && rehash
and then
Code:
psearch stani
and it will return
Code:
editors/spe               Stani's Python Editor
Old 01-07-2007, 05:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
psearch is bloody awesome, I keep a copy of an old version of that python script on my USB stick hehe.