Old 11-03-2006, 03:38 PM

Default is this smart thing to do?
what if i decide to run pcbsd as OS on my main machine?
is it stable enough? would you trust it with family photos and important documents?
please ones that actually using pcbsd for above mentioned tasks everyday give me you feedback. i really like look and feel of pcbsd and would be nice to actually use it for everyday needs and not only for learning unix.
thnx
Old 11-03-2006, 04:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to seamus Send a message via Yahoo to seamus
I use PC-BSD at work and at home -- family photos, work documents, home documents. I stream music, watch movies, compile source code.

On my Dell Latitude D810, stability is without question.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Apatewna Send a message via MSN to Apatewna Send a message via Yahoo to Apatewna
Default Re: is this smart thing to do?
Originally Posted by komaroveli
what if i decide to run pcbsd as OS on my main machine?
is it stable enough? would you trust it with family photos and important documents?
please ones that actually using pcbsd for above mentioned tasks everyday give me you feedback. i really like look and feel of pcbsd and would be nice to actually use it for everyday needs and not only for learning unix.
thnx
I am a professional IT technician and I have seen ALL sorts of disasters on computers. That's why it's not the OS that I trust, it's the method.

My main comp is running on a RAID-1 mirror and I take daily full ftp backups to a local lan dedicated server. This method may sound extreme for some people, but loosing my family photos and everyday work (tons of mail and documentation) is not an option to take lightly.

As far as the OS is concerned, it is stable as rock. Surf all the forums you want, there are specific things you can do to make the system go insane. As an example:

a) disconnect a mounted USB storage device without unmounting it first
b) poking arround the system as root (windows users do this all the time)

You will also get a system immune to windows viruses, this should at least count for the 90% of the computer instability out there (which reminds me I have to go out on Monday and clean a virus-mess on a server which serves the daily work of 50 people).

Please read and UNDERSTAND these pages before posting:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette
Old 11-03-2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Apatewna
My main comp is running on a RAID-1 mirror and I take daily full ftp backups to a local lan dedicated server.
here you spoke language i hardly understand. even being 32 years old i would like to work hard to get to level where i would understand all this.
on this note i would like to ask you to explane me how can i use my external hard disk to, as you say, make full backups of my computer hard drive, just in case...
because in your own words:
Quote:
loosing my family photos and everyday work (tons of mail and documentation) is not an option to take lightly.
any input will be appreciated
thnx
Old 11-03-2006, 05:28 PM

and one more thing
since it is 1.3 beta right now, would it be possible to update to main version just by normal update or i will have to reinstall the system.
and one more thing (like it will be last one.... ) since pcbsd intends to bring out versions almost every couple of month, how it will be with update/upgrades in the future?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Apatewna Send a message via MSN to Apatewna Send a message via Yahoo to Apatewna
Originally Posted by komaroveli
Originally Posted by Apatewna
My main comp is running on a RAID-1 mirror and I take daily full ftp backups to a local lan dedicated server.
here you spoke language i hardly understand. even being 32 years old i would like to work hard to get to level where i would understand all this.
on this note i would like to ask you to explane me how can i use my external hard disk to, as you say, make full backups of my computer hard drive, just in case...
RAID=Redundant Array of Independent Disks or simply an array of disks.
There are speciallized disk controllers that create/handle such disk arrays called RAID controllers.

There are few RAID configurations one of which is RAID-1 or disk mirror. This means that the process requires two (usually) identical disks. The RAID controller configuration "joins" two disks of size A into one virtual disk of size A and keeps the data on both disks synchronized in realtime.

If a disk fails, the system keeps running! You can simply change the failing disk with another and the controller will rebuild the disk array for you. Almost zero downtime and safeguarding of data.

Hardware RAID controllers are distinguished in two different brands:
a) Onboard cheap RAID controllers called fake-raids (that's the one I have)
b) PCI/PCIExpress card real RAID controllers (found also in high end servers)

There are also software implementations of RAID, you might have heard the terms "gmirror" and "gvinum" in FreeBSD. The PCBSD installer has support for "gmirror" if I remember correctly.
In this case we don't have a specialized controller, the kernel takes care of the mirroring process. If a disk fails here, it may require a little more knowledge to reinstate the system, but still you don't lose data.

The simplest case of backups is the full backup. Just copy every critical file to some other location and you're safe if the original system fails. Actual programs can't be copied, here is an example:

Microsoft Office copies an unknown amount of files in:
c:\Program Files
c:\Program Files\Common Files
c:\windows
c:\windows\system32
and so on
Also adds/modifies several thousand registry keys.
Now, if you were to know all these files and registry keys you could move the old installation but it is not humanly possible to recreate at least the several thousand registry entries by hand. So just reinstall the damn thing!

However, some programs are self-contained in a single folder and can be easily copied over several systems preserving original functionality (search in google for Portable Firefox for example).

All I do for backup is grab the files that I work (documents, stuff downloaded from the internet, e-books, pictures, videos), my email folder and browser favorites and send them over to an FTP server (File Transfer Protocol Server, a dedicated form of file storage server with a special communication protocol) which is connected to my main computer via network cable.

So, if you were to gather all your files, create a folder on your external disk and copy them over you would accomplish the same thing. I just have to test this stuff for my work, it should be complicated for the average user or else the customer won't like it

Please read and UNDERSTAND these pages before posting:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette
Old 11-03-2006, 06:19 PM

well....this is what i'm doing at this time - copy/paste that is. i was looking for something that u call real time synchronization. simply sad i want whenever i save picture and or document on my computer it would automatically safe this files also on external drive. i will look in this RAID thing you talking about, but i think it is little to complicated for me right now. but if it's only way to achieve real time syncing between drives i will make myself learn it. you wouldn't believe how many times i came close to losing photos. and how many times i lost music.....
thnx for your time
Old 11-03-2006, 08:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
I'm into various computer issues by hobby, love, and joy so I'm not a professional just a moron ^_^

I use PC-BSD on my laptop both as a personal computer and developmental/tinkering work station & for a terminal to my FreeBSD system.

I've found that the system is rock solid, but it can get a little flakly if important parts of your hardware are not well supported. I've used it as a Desktop for a good while without any problems.

I keep my personal stuff on a PC-BSD only system and USB stick for files I edit daily on other computers. I'm actually more comfortable having them on PC-BSD then Windows, especially since the avg thug wouldn't know how to work it if they stole my computers ^_^

Just to gard agasnst accidental deletion I tend to keep copies of importan things and incase of hard ware failure every few months I make backups. Just to be even safer I backup to CD-R every year.

Usually I stuff copies of every thing that matters (like documents/pictures/music) on a special fat32 partition when I do backups so I know it's not going to get destroyed so easy if any thing happens to the Operating System.