Old 10-14-2006, 04:12 PM

Default VMware on PC-BSD?
Just curious, but has anyone attempted to use VMware on PC-BSD? I know, it's not officially supported as a host OS, but a linux version does exist, and someone once before did create a patch for an earlier version that apparently worked (at least from what little I read). Just wondered if it's still possible to do, or if anyone's working on creating a new patch or method for using it. I've already got VMW, so would prefer not to have to buy Win4BSD if I don't have to.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:31 PM

Welcome,

Glad to hear PC-BSD installed on your Biostar...can you post the model?

VMware does exist in the ports tree but that would entail filling your ports, grabbing the source files, opening a terminal (konsole) su to root, cd to the directory and running a make which sounds all very complicated but it's not that big of a deal once you do it a few times.

However, QEMU exists as a PBI (thanks to Amigamerlin) and this thread can act as a tutorial for installation of WinXP if that's your intent.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear PC-BSD installed on your Biostar...can you post the model?
Heh, that was in the other thread. Sure, it's a N4SLI-A9, running an AMD64 3000+, a PCI-E GeForce 6600, and 1 GB ram. Hard drive is a WD 1600JS (SATA). PC-BSD seems to like this setup very much, as-is, without needing any extra drivers or configuration (although, as I mentioned earlier, I did go ahead and install the Nvidia driver PBI to "upgrade" the graphics a bit). Chipset/audio/networking config/drivers simply weren't needed at all. Heh, I was especially pleased not to have to hit F6 to install "third party sata drivers" to complete the OS installation.

Quote:
VMware does exist in the ports tree but that would entail filling your ports, grabbing the source files, opening a terminal (konsole) su to root, cd to the directory and running a make which sounds all very complicated but it's not that big of a deal once you do it a few times.
Ok, on one hand, what you say seems very exciting. On the other, I have absolutely no idea what 90% of the phrases you used above actually mean. lol Could you translate all that for a Unix newbie?

Quote:
However, QEMU exists as a PBI (thanks to Amigamerlin) and this thread can act as a tutorial for installation of WinXP if that's your intent.
Nope, that's not what I'm trying to do. For one thing, I'm using VMs, which aren't emulation, but isolated instances of actual OSs sharing hardware. However, the big motivator here is that I've already got my virtual machine up and running, and set-up the way I like it, with all my software in-place, etc. I'm desperately trying to figure out how to get VM Workstation up and running on PC-BSD so I can use my existing VM, to avoid having to use something like Win4BSD which, as far as I know, would require me to go back to the drawing board and create my VM all over again from scratch. Not a pleasant thought. Not to mention I'm used to VMW now, and know how to use it, and enjoy the tools and features.

I'm almost tempted to install Ubuntu on a new partition, just because it can run VMware, but God, I'm so sick of having multiple OSs and having to boot different ones to do different things. If I can run my VMs from within PC-BSD, the only time I'd have to load a different (non-VM) OS is when I plug-in my XP drive so I can play games off of it. That's the goal.

(And even then, I'm praying for the day they learn to connect the software directly to video hardware, so that extra drive isn't needed, and the games would run inside a VM.)
Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 PM

Just checked Newegg on the Biostar but all they have are open boxes available but cheap...$37 and no shipping charge. I'll see if I can find something equivalent new with same chips and pieces.

OK...as far as VMWare... here's a list of what's available in ports:
Code:
emulators/linux-vmware-toolbox2 VMware toolbox for guest OS (for VMware 2.x, Linux version)
emulators/linux-vmware-toolbox4 VMware toolbox for guest OS (for VMware 4.x, Linux version)
emulators/linux-vmware-toolbox5 VMware toolbox for guest OS (VMware Workstation 5.x, Linux version)
emulators/vmware-guestd3 VMware time synchronization daemon for FreeBSD guest OS (for VMware 3.x)
emulators/vmware-guestd4 VMware time synchronization daemon for FreeBSD guest OS (for VMware 4.x)
emulators/vmware-guestd5 VMware guest OS supporting daemon (VMware Workstation 5.x, FreeBSD version)
emulators/vmware-tools2  VMware tools for guest OS (for VMware 2.x, FreeBSD version)
emulators/vmware-tools3  VMware tools for guest OS (for VMware 3.x, FreeBSD version)
emulators/vmware-tools4  VMware tools for guest OS (for VMware 4.x, FreeBSD version)
emulators/vmware-tools5  VMware Tools for guest OS (VMware Workstation 5.x, FreeBSD version)
emulators/vmware2        A virtual machine emulator - a full PC in a window
emulators/vmware3        A virtual machine emulator - a full PC in a window
You would probably use the last one. Here's how.

Click on the KMenu -> Settings -> System Administration -> PC-BSD System. This will open a kdesu window in which you must type your root password and click OK. Once done it will open a PC-BSD System Window and on the last tab, Tasks and you need to click on the 'Fetch Ports' button and it will proceed to download and install over 44 megabytes called the port tree. It would probably be a good idea to click on the Fetch System Source button and do that too. BTW, the Fetch Ports window will open behind the main window and be owned by it...a bug that still has not been addressed in 1.3 beta1 although it's been reported so move the main window out of the way to see the progress and close the main window when done to close the Fetch Ports progress window.

Once that's out of the way, click on the KMenu -> System -> Konsole and it will open a terminal. Once that is open type in
Code:
su
then enter, then type in
Code:
cd /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3
and hit enter to change directories and then type in
Code:
make install clean
and again hit enter and it will start retreving and compiling the sourse code for vmware3. Once you are done type
Code:
rehash
and enter and then your are going to have read the instructions near the bottom of your finished make or perhaps do a
Code:
man vmware
and enter (man subject will bring back information on that subject) to read what man(ual) has to say about it.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Apatewna Send a message via MSN to Apatewna Send a message via Yahoo to Apatewna
You will also need a valid serial number for Vmware 3.x :roll:

Please read and UNDERSTAND these pages before posting:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette
Old 10-14-2006, 10:53 PM

Is that "vmware3" literally referring to the old version 3? Wow, that won't work at all. I'm using VMware Workstation 5.5.2. My existing VM isn't backwards compatible.

I seem to recall reading that someone had made a v4.5 patch, but that was old, and I don't think it's still around (wouldn't do any good if it was, of course). My hope is that someone's working on, or has already created, a way to use the current software. VMware has a current Linux version, so I'm really curious if that's something that can be ported over or not.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Apatewna Send a message via MSN to Apatewna Send a message via Yahoo to Apatewna
Originally Posted by Kurgan
Is that "vmware3" literally referring to the old version 3? Wow, that won't work at all. I'm using VMware Workstation 5.5.2. My existing VM isn't backwards compatible.

I seem to recall reading that someone had made a v4.5 patch, but that was old, and I don't think it's still around (wouldn't do any good if it was, of course). My hope is that someone's working on, or has already created, a way to use the current software. VMware has a current Linux version, so I'm really curious if that's something that can be ported over or not.
Yes this is vmware3 (or 3.2 if I remember correctly). The v4.5 was more like a hack that needed further attention. Relevant link

We've been banging the door at Vmware for years, but they have other plans it seems. The FreeBSD market is considered small for them to actually create a native edition of Vmware (they have their hands full with OSX at the moment).

You can always try, http://www.win4bsd.com if all you're interested in is win2k/XP virtual machines. Other alternative is qemu (you can find it as a PBI). It emulates many OSes (win and *nix).

Please read and UNDERSTAND these pages before posting:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette