Old 08-21-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Can BSD read/write to ext3 partitions?
I created a 2.3GB partition using ext3 in order to store my MP3s and share them between UNIXes (Linux and BSD). Am I right in assuming that PCBSD can read and write to this FS format? If not, does it do FAT32 at least?

Muchas Gracias!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to unix_Hussi Send a message via MSN to unix_Hussi Send a message via Yahoo to unix_Hussi
Default Re: Can BSD read/write to ext3 partitions?
Originally Posted by bushwacker
I created a 2.3GB partition using ext3 in order to store my MP3s and share them between UNIXes (Linux and BSD). Am I right in assuming that PCBSD can read and write to this FS format? If not, does it do FAT32 at least?

Muchas Gracias!
Hello again,I guess it could read/write from ext3 but your better off with a FAT32 partition...Iv done it already and it works...What kind of hard drive do you have?not that it matters but I was just curious...
Old 08-22-2006, 12:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to marc

Muchas Gracias!
Yes, *BSDs can read/write to/from ext3 partitions, but FAT32 is better alternative, as it can be accessed from win/*nix systems.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:51 PM

I only have Linux and BSD on here, so that's not a problem. Are there any performance or data integrity related issues I should worry about here? I already have the partition formatted as EXT3 right now, so there's no reason to change it if I don't really need to.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 PM

Are there any performance or data integrity related issues I should worry about here? I already have the partition formatted as EXT3 right now, so there's no reason to change it if I don't really need to.
Well, as you probobly already know, FAT32 was "invented" by MS, so ...
EXT3 is the FS of choice. It is much more efficient and error-free.
Most of the users would probobly choose EXT3, `cause it`s just better I guess.
Oh, one more thing ... EXT3 is usually mounted as EXT2, at least in *BSDs case. [It`s a linux native system anyway].
Old 08-23-2006, 12:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
ext, ext2,ext3 Linux native file systems versions 1,2,3 hehe.

Whats the real diffrence between ext3 & ufs2+softupdates?

Personally I like NTFS, no problems with UFS2, but FAT is the most portable thanks to MicroSoft Dirty Operating System.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by TerryP
Whats the real diffrence between ext3 & ufs2+softupdates?
AFAIK there`s no way to get RW access to FFS/UFS2 partitions from
Linux. Yes, you can read it [you`ll have to load ufs kernel support module], but you can`t write into it.
And that`s the problem.

Originally Posted by TerryP
FAT is the most portable thanks to MicroSoft Dirty Operating System.
Maybe it is portable, but EXT3 is portable too. Plus - it`s a Journaling FS [FAT32 requires some stupid and unreliable programs like scandisk, which aren`t successful in repairing FS. They`re causing more harm to the system ... I can remember those ugly-looking, obsolete "chain files" created by scandisk when it found an error.] which makes it pretty stable and almost fully reliable.
The problem is the limit of the max filesize I believe. In EXT3 [or FAT32] it`s 2GB I guess? well, don`t remember.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
FAT32. Max file size 4GB, max partition size between 512mb and 2tb depending on who what where. (XP only allows 32gb).

EXT3. Max file size 16GB-2TB, max partition size 2TN-32TB depending on cluster size or some thing.

It's the technical details of FAT FS's I don't like, which is why I wish I could use NTFS or ext3/ufs2 for my shared partitions.

Recovery stuff remains fat16 or fat32 though depending on whether I format it or reuse a vendors. That way I know what ever I try to access them with in a Defcon I emg I'll have access to it inless it's uni fs support (1 fstype)