Old 07-25-2006, 04:08 PM

Default What are the first few things a PC-BSD newbie should do?
OK. I'm a complete n00b to BSD. I have successfully installed PC-BSD but this was more down to my 18-month familiarity with Linux than anything else (I still consider myself a Linux n00b).

I want to learn more about BSD and I believe the best way to learn is to try things out and learn from my mistakes. So, I was hoping you experienced PC-BSD user could give me some guidance.

As a n00b, what are the first few things I should try out?

btw, I have already installed some software using the PBI. Awesome app. It reminds me of Linspire's Click-N-Run. Really easy and newbie friendly.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM

i have a documentray of things i had configure after a fresh install.

i will post it here.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
A.) Check hardware support
B.) Learn K-Menu Layout
C.) Learn to deal with root / file permissions
D.) Learn to use ports
E.) Audjust loook and feel to tastes.

Thats my reccomendation of all users new to BSD but familer with other systems (C is the same as in Linux). Learning to use a shell is usually a good idea if you also want to learn computers/Unices in general. Ports is the best way to get lots of up to date software quickly, the rest is usually what is typical to do when breaking in a new install.

Of course though an Operating System is for getting work done and that takes software
Old 07-25-2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by TerryP
How do I do this?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shagbag
Originally Posted by TerryP
How do I do this?
http://www.freebsd.org ?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
If you can't play music and there's no codec problem you probably have a sound problem e.t.c.

Working: Keyboard, Mouse, Internet, Sound, USB Ports, Disk Drives, first things I check after install.
____

hardware release notes for FreeBSD 6.1 on the site (Dingens post), I know they are on the FreeBSD install disks so they should be on the PC-BSD disks as well.

A check of google with
Code:
"FreeBSD" part make model number type
usually will show if allot of people have had problems or no one has tried it yet.

Example:
Code:
"FreeBSD" Intel Cortez G2 945G Viiv Motherboard
Shows the entry in the PC-BSD FAQ and several forum posts I have made about my Mother board.

PC-BSD's FAQ also has notes on some hardware that's been tested to work or not work.

Generally, I skip checking for info online if I have access to the machine before purchase/own it and boot off a Knoppix Linux livecd to check hardware support. Knoppix's support is about the same as PC-BSD for allot of things, good way to get a heads up. Plus Knoppix has QTParted which is good when having to dual boot with Windows having a huge C:\ taking up the whole HDD.

Yes I never would leave home without my Knoppix disk in my repair kit if I was a PC Fix'it'up man ^_^

Also if you have allot of exp /w BSD systems you probably could hunt through man pages lol, but I don't think most of us like that option when shopping.