Old 07-07-2006, 05:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Opera 9
WOW this things awesome, the fonts look nice unlike the 8.5 PBI. Opera 9 seems to pages load faster finally beating Firefox with images enabled.

Since Firefox takes to long to start up, konqueror is not my bag, and elinks does not support tabbed browsing I think Opera is now offically my standard WWW Browser for *nix (replacing elinks) - Windows too if the WInVersion finally will allow right clicks in the bookmark menu.

I only have ony beef with the PBI itself, it breaks containment by coping over the man page instead of symlinking the lone manpage.

Or maybe I'm just crackers, that I think PBI should be 100% self contained as can be %_%
Old 07-07-2006, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Opera 9
Originally Posted by TerryP
WOW this things awesome, the fonts look nice unlike the 8.5 PBI. Opera 9 seems to pages load faster finally beating Firefox with images enabled.

Since Firefox takes to long to start up, konqueror is not my bag, and elinks does not support tabbed browsing I think Opera is now offically my standard WWW Browser for *nix (replacing elinks) - Windows too if the WInVersion finally will allow right clicks in the bookmark menu.

I only have ony beef with the PBI itself, it breaks containment by coping over the man page instead of symlinking the lone manpage.

Or maybe I'm just crackers, that I think PBI should be 100% self contained as can be %_%
Talk to Charles. He should be able to fix that easily.

I don't know if you noticed, but Opera 9 now works with the Java PBI out of the box and the language packs are selectable from the options.

The only problem is that it can't use The Flash PBI. Damn Adobe! :evil:
Old 07-07-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Opera 9
Originally Posted by pcbsdusr
The only problem is that it can't use The Flash PBI. Damn Adobe! :evil:
With Konqueror if flash is not installed I always click on some flash file and it redirects me to adobe page and tells me that no suitable player is found. If we all start doing this then adobe can see from logs that there is large BSD community and finally start working on FreeBSD flash.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:19 AM

That IS a nice idea

You are a genious Antik!
Old 07-07-2006, 11:52 AM

I think it's more effecient and proactive to fill their feature request form once or twice a day. I do it twice a day now.

Regarding the man pages of Opera, I created a symlink but then when you did a "man opera" it said it wasn't found, so I had to copy it to the man directory. Sorry about that. If you want, I can remove it next time.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
konqueror is not my bag,
Actually I find Konqueror under PC-BSD the most succesful than in any of the Linux I have tried and of course better than FF here in PCBSD, as Firefox crashes and freezes all over.

Opera is fine, no problem, I just wanted to notice the fine work done with Konqueror.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
The symlinks worked fine for my Blackbox PBI, as long as make package didn't miss any pages. So I know anything about that.

I don't like the PBI breaking containment even so harmlessly, but I don't mind very much for a man page since I'm an advid reader.

I am very very thankful for a awesome program that is a working PBI thou Charles, thank you for making it.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 PM

You welcome
I wish all PBIs were that easy to create :roll:
Old 07-07-2006, 11:03 PM

Looks like the big fuss is in Java. Only bad thing though it's publically showing a PBI can pass offically without being a properly self contained, self installing, easy to use, and will never effect the rest of the system pacakge :P
Old 07-08-2006, 12:57 PM

There are cases where this can't be true. You can't install fonts without at least creating a symlink in the fonts directory, same goes for the codecs.