Old 03-14-2006, 09:29 PM

Default do you want your system to fly? (tips&tricks)
just put these lines in your /etc/rc.conf and reboot...

Code:
tmpmfs="YES"
tmpsize="64m"
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 PM

so... what will this do exactly?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Do you mean something like this antik

I've never given much thought about it, Dual 3.0 Ghz cores /w 2MB L2 cache each + 2GB DDR2 Dual Channel RAM + 4GB alloted to a BSD Swap partition on the UFS2 slice, and 4GB of Page File to the NTFS Slice; even Windows XP runs acceptably fast.

KDE on an old low end office computer even ran fast enough with PC-BSD.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by pcbsdusr
so... what will this do exactly?
This command allocate /tmp directory in memory, so temporary files made much faster then when it in a hard drive. I found that browsing web and opening documents in KDE are much faster than with standard configuration. Of course you have to have enough memory to do this. And another trick I did (a la Gentoo) recompiled all installed ports with i686 optimizations- I have Athlon XP 2500+ with Nforce2 chipset 512MB DDR400 (running in dual channel) and speed emprovement is touchable.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:28 PM

sounds good to me. Maybe we could have an option for this in the system manager.

I do have a small doubt about this...

what happens if one runs out of ram? does it start writing to disk again? or does the system suffer from it?

If it writes to disk after all ram is full (or a percentage of all used ram - if we had this it would be very cool) it can be useful.

I was thinking we could have in the system manager the control for this.
1- how much ram can be used (percentage of all used ram) before it starts writing to the disk as usual.
2- on and off swiches
3 - make this auto. when the OS booted it could detect the ammount of memory and automatically define how much space could be used for this.

If we can do this it will be very cool. Unused ram IS wasted ram in the end.

About the i686 optimizations, All PC-BSD software (PBIs) should start being optimized like this. I remember your post at the Mailing list and i know kris will optimize our kernels for i686 from now on. If the apps get that treatment as well, better still!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:41 PM

Annother thing you can do is to turn off a bunch of the virtual terminals by editing /etc/ttys.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
My question is how is this utilized on the file system? I have 200GB NTFS, 50GB FAT32, and 200GB UFS2 slices (with / and swap partitions), and 4.5GB Space I'm considering using for Linux, NetBSD, or OpenBSD; or keep for "Secure" file storage. Would this effect /tmp under my file system or would it be some thing more like /proc on linux.

____
Probably we should get a few VT instead of F1 for boot, F9 for X/KDE and F2-8 for other stuff for default.

I often go to F7 and F8 when I most log in, but have no need of GUI. (Although a xterm /w -geometry 220x80 would work too) or when I need to leave a Lynx/Vim running for later.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by TerryP
My question is how is this utilized on the file system? I have 200GB NTFS, 50GB FAT32, and 200GB UFS2 slices (with / and swap partitions), and 4.5GB Space I'm considering using for Linux, NetBSD, or OpenBSD; or keep for "Secure" file storage. Would this effect /tmp under my file system or would it be some thing more like /proc on linux.

____
Probably we should get a few VT instead of F1 for boot, F9 for X/KDE and F2-8 for other stuff for default.

I often go to F7 and F8 when I most log in, but have no need of GUI. (Although a xterm /w -geometry 220x80 would work too) or when I need to leave a Lynx/Vim running for later.
/proc has nothing to do with filesystem actually- this is list of devices. Linux uses TMPFS to allocate temporary memory dynamically- I miss that part in FreeBSD.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:46 AM

Good golly this works!!!

since I've reformated my PC-BSD partition and installed 1.0, I'm finally trying to configure things properly. And I must say, I like what I got so far ^_^

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
background_dhclient="YES"
hostname="localhost.localdomain"
hostname="WXBSD.GW.SAL1600"
compat5x_enable="YES"

NIC="de em ixgb txp vx bfe bge dc fxp lge nge pcn re rl sf sis sk ste ti tl tx vge vr wb xl cs ed ex ep fe ie lnc sn xe an awi wi"

for i in $NIC; do
      eval ifconfig_${i}0="DHCP"
      eval ifconfig_${i}1="DHCP"
done

blanktime="180"
saver="logo"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
moused_type="auto"
moused_enable="YES"

#Enable samba server
samba_enable="NO"

# Disable LPD
lpd_enable="NO"

# Enable CUPS
cupsd_enable="YES"
background_cupsd="YES"
enable_linux="YES"

# FSCK Enhancements
fsck_y_enable="YES"
background_fsck="NO"
nfs_server_enable="NO"

#begin root edit on Sun Apr 30 00:08:10 PDT 2006

#Disable NFS & portmap just in case
nfs_server_enable="NO"
nfs_client_enable="NO"
portmap_enable="NO"

#wipe /tmp on boot
clear_tmp_enable="YES"

#antiks suggestion, creates tmp FileSystem in memory rather then write to disk
tmpmfs="YES"
tmpsize="64m"

#stop messing up my MOTD!
update_motd="NO"

#END edit
Old 04-30-2006, 01:20 PM

Antik what happens if one needs more space than assigned to the fake tmp dir?
Does it write to the disk from that point forward? noone has answered this...