Old 02-24-2006, 08:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jdarnold Send a message via AIM to jdarnold Send a message via MSN to jdarnold Send a message via Yahoo to jdarnold
Default fdisk option not working
PC-BSD v1.0rc2. In the first installation screen, which displays the text graphics box allowing you to start the graphical install, a few other options, and manually running fdisk. If you select the fdisk option, there's a small message box telling you that you can now manually run fdisk, but it doesn't actually do anything. You immediately pop back to the original menu.

EDIT: If I go to the emergency shell and type fdisk, I get this error:

Code:
fdisk: Mounted root fs resource doesn't match expectations (regexec returned 1)
There's probably a connection. :roll:

EDIT 2: rc1 does the same thing.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 PM

Creating slices and partitions is best done from sysinstall which you can run from the shell. This is really for more advanced users, I suggest reading this freebsd disk tutorial,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 ... index.html
Old 03-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by popey
Creating slices and partitions is best done from sysinstall which you can run from the shell. This is really for more advanced users, I suggest reading this freebsd disk tutorial,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 ... index.html
I think this should probably be filed as a bug. Is there a bugtracker somewhere on this site (bugzilla, cvstrac, etc.)?

When you start the install, "fdisk" is listed as an option. This is supposed to run sysinstall. The path to sysinstall that this option tries to call is incorrect. It tries to run "/stand/sysinstall". In FreeBSD 6, sysinstall is in "/usr/sbin/sysinstall".

While "basic" users may not need this, I could see many experimenters not wanting to use the entire drive on a new machine. fdisk/sysinstall is the only way to handle this.

For example, right now I'm setting up 5 new workstations for a business. We are happy with PCBSD in general, but I like to slice the disk in half so that in the future if they want to put another OS on for dual-boot they can, without having to fiddle with partition magic or similar.

edit:

The typo is in the file "PCBSDStart.sh" on line 78. Just change the path to reflect the new location.

I so wish there was a bug-tracking db available for this project, I can't imagine how you guys can track things in a forum.