Old 02-19-2006, 07:13 PM

Default PCBSD UPDATES
I installed PCBSD on my test machine. A Dell Dimension L550R with a P3 and a 10 Gig hardrive. I do not know the ram but it is slow. So I finally got PCBSD up and running and it performs rather well on this old machine. I am very pleased with PCBSD!!

I tried to install both the Free BSD security patch and KDE 3.5.1 and it took a very long time. It seemed to install o.k. and not as bad as some other people but I noticed the machine is soo much slower it is almost not usable. I re-installed PCBSD and now I am using it just as it was. I think the updates need to be worked as they really seem to mess up the whole system. I tried just the security patch and it slowed the computer to a crawl. KDE 3.5.1 seemed not to work properly. Some functions that worked in 3.5 did not in3.5.1. So maybe the next release will have these patches incorperated into it or these patchs need to worked on before they are usable. I will wait as they make my system inoperable. I think if you have been using PCBSD for a while and have a lot of info on it I would wait a while to update!

Robzilla
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 PM

did you use the online method or the pbi patches to upgrade?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 AM

Actually I updated using both methods. I found that just downloading the udates as packages and then installing worked while updating using the online method would not install the updates.

The end result was a much slower machine after installing the updates.

R
Old 02-21-2006, 12:27 AM

If the system is sluggish something bad must have happened with the online update. the update patch may have become corrupted during the download.

I recommend you reinstall and update by downloading the PBI patches only until the update system gets... updated

I have all the updates installed here and it's still FAAAAST as usual.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:09 AM

Default You were right!!
I just downloaded the updates as packages and installed and it worked. It took a while but now I am up and running and no problems. Now the pc actually seems faster!

Guess threes a charm!

Thanks

R
Old 02-22-2006, 01:17 PM

Good to hear that.

I think this further proves the problem is related to patch corruption during the download stage. We'll need to fix that soon...