Old 02-09-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Gnome-based PCBSD
I wish for a Gnome-based PCBSD either as as an option during installation or as a separate version for those interested in lightweight GUI.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:00 PM

there are so many threads about this topic :?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to mal.exe
like if Gnome was a light desktop......
Old 02-14-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Gnome-based PCBSD
Originally Posted by kh54
I wish for a Gnome-based PCBSD ... for those interested in lightweight GUI.
ERROR! DOES NOT COMPUTE! :roll:

skrowl's wicked complicated HOWTO on how to use gnome on PC BSD

Step one: As root, run: pkg_add -r gnome2 && pkg_add -r gdm
Step two: Reboot

Clearly, this installation is too complicated and we need a seperate version of PC-BSD!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 PM

Installation of Gnome with current Kde-based PCBSD complicates things as shown in other posts.
Besides, current pbi's are not compatible with Gnome which further adds to complications in this regard.
So, a separate Gnome-based PCBSD version is the solution for that with pbi's to be built GUI-independent :?:
Old 02-14-2006, 06:38 PM

I wish for a Gnome-based PCBSD either as as an option during installation or as a separate version for those interested in lightweight GUI.
The great thing about free- and open source software is that you don't like a certain program, you don't have to use it, if you prefer GNOME over KDE, why don't you just install it? As skrowl says, it's not that hard, and if you want a little more help on that, you can read some chapters in the FreeBSD Handbook, which you can find at freebsd.org
Old 02-14-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tsuroerusu
The great thing about free- and open source software is that you don't like a certain program, you don't have to use it, if you prefer GNOME over KDE, why don't you just install it? As skrowl says, it's not that hard, and if you want a little more help on that, you can read some chapters in the FreeBSD Handbook, which you can find at freebsd.org
The advantage of free- and open source software is 100% true for freebsd where you can choose among KDE or Gnome to install as GUI for your system as given at the freebsd site which I came across some time ago when checking for the possibility of replacing KDE with Gnome.
On PCBSD which is built with KDE as default GUI, however, I'm quoting below the reply of BSD4ALL to my inquiry in this regard:
To: kh54
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:43 pm
Subject: Re: GnomeQuote message
Hello,

In general I like gnome, it has a clean look and feel. I only had gnome on my PC-BSD computer for a short period of time, and it really complicated the menu structure, which in my opinion made gnome useless. I have also heard that some PBI's depend on KDE, sorry I do not know which ones. I was hoping the PC-BSD team would make a new version that was based on gnome.

Thanks,
Mark

Besides, All PBI's currently available for PCBSD are KDE-dependent and are non-workable under Gnome at the moment: Please check thread below for that: http://www.pbidir.com/forum/showthread.php?p=43#post43
The above I think justifies the wishes of skrowl, BSD4ALL, me and others who might be interested for a light-weight Gnome-based separate version of PCBSD
Old 02-14-2006, 08:10 PM

In general I like gnome, it has a clean look and feel. I only had gnome on my PC-BSD computer for a short period of time, and it really complicated the menu structure, which in my opinion made gnome useless. I have also heard that some PBI's depend on KDE, sorry I do not know which ones. I was hoping the PC-BSD team would make a new version that was based on gnome.
I don't know if PBI's depend on KDE or Qt, the tools for installing them might, because they're written in Qt so that they integrate into KDE. The reason PC-BSD focusses on KDE is that if you have to focus on two desktop environments, the development time is A LOT longer, and you have to write multiple frontends, and more dependencies, it makes the whole goal for PC-BSD a lot harder. And by the way, I doubt your mom or dad will care if they use GNOME or KDE, as long as it's easy to use, and in that area they both do a good job, anything is better than Windows :wink:
One thing I notice about most Windows users coming to GNU/Linux (I havn't tried introducing them to BSD because there havn't really been a mature and well integrated BSD before PC-BSD) is that they tend to prefer KDE, because it looks and works more in the same ways as Windows than GNOME does, and that makes them feel comfortable with the desktop faster. I think that by focusing on KDE, PC-BSD grabs a much bigger amount of people than it would do if it used GNOME, for the reason I mentioned just a sec. ago with KDE being more familiar to Windows users.

I don't have anything personal against GNOME, it's just that I personally prefer KDE, and that KDE is better for me, KDE isn't the best for everyone, but >I< see it being better for Windows users. That's just >my< opinion.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:33 PM

Exactly, I'm not against a Gnome version, but only when we have a whole team of developpers. There are other priorities at the moment...
Old 02-14-2006, 09:08 PM

I believe that all here quite understand that Charles as much as we appreciate and acknowledge the great work and efforts made by the PCBSD team to afford us such great OS with us making wishes and you setting priorities of course