Old 02-08-2006, 10:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default File Systems
With luck I will be setting up a computer within 6-12months. Windows XP & PC-BSD on two harddrives.

I want to be able to share as much information as I can between OSes - but the more and more I've read about FAT32 the worse opinion I have of it (Along with some old FAT16 systems I've been on)

I thought I'd make
Disk 1
Windows Core stuff C:\ NTFS
Windows Programs D:\ NTFS
Windows Games E:\ NTFS or FAT32 (Maybe see if I could get WINE to run a game as good as a Win32 port of Gvim - I prefer native vim)
Windows Personal Files F:\ auto @ boot or manual mount to /home on Disk 2 Slice 2 FAT32 (MyDocs e.t.c. Like my ${HOME} But on windows)

Disk 2 (Using native/default BSD filesystem UFS?)
PC-BSD boot + / and most subdirectories
PC-BSD Swap space
PC-BSD home/and/subdirectories/ mounted to root (/) at boot FAT32
PC-BSD usr/and/subdirectories/ mounted to root at boot time

That way I could get ug rw permissions and share personal files by mounting Disk1 Slice 4 onto Disk 2 Slice 3 which itself is mounted to Disk2 Slice 1....Inless I've misunderstood how Unix like systems handle slices/partitions. And some how mount my /home as read only to windows.

Now assuming theres no problem with a
Windows Disk 1, slices 1-4, PC-BSD Disk 2, Slices 1-4 + Disk 1 Slice 4 being mounted onto Disk 1 Slice 3.

With Windows boot C:\ being Disk1 Slice 1, and PC-BSD boot&root / being Disk2 Slice 2.

I was thinking, FAT32 partitions to share data - but I thought considering that some files might get copied from NTFS/FAT32/UFS?? and vice versa that iti might corrupt the files.

So I thought why not make it all FAT32 for both the 250GB Windows and 80GB PC-BSD drives....But I can't bear to let my baby be all FAT32 (I actually do like NTFS apples to FAT16s Oranges).

SO is there any good file system that can handle large partitions should need be. (50GB+) without imposing problems like FAT & Slack. WHILE remaining Readable/Writeable under BOTH Windows XP & PC-BSD.

The only file systems I've used that I've liked so far as been WinXP's NTFS (Read MS Cash cow) and the default/native filesystem used in PC-BSD which works good on my old hardware given a gig of swap space. I don't know what the fs is but I'm assuming it is ether Unix File System (UFS) or simular.

And I know BSD does not do NTFS and Windows an't likly to do BSD's (Doubt linux ext3 ether)
Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Now that I've eaten and can think again let me add that.

Thought of maybe using FAT32 for all 330 (preformated) Gigs of total memory accross 7 partitions on 2 drives. So I would not need any partitions to play "Middle man" with sharing with windows- Don't think FAT32 is gonna cut it. So is there a neutral file system at lest as good as NTFS/ext3/BSD native (UFS2?) that BOTH windows and pc-bsd can be made to run on - so after sorting out r/w & mounting that I could share oh most all my files without the FAT slack?