View Poll Results: How easy was it for you to install your printer, and find a driver if necessary?
Easy 4 33.33%
Average 3 25.00%
Hard 2 16.67%
My Printer Doesn't Work in PC-BSD 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Post Printing Support in PC-BSD
Hey PC-BSDers! I'm looking to do some "market research" per say to see how you all feel about printing with PC-BSD. Your input will greatly help us know if this area of PC-BSD needs improvement.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:30 PM

It is easy if you know what a ppd is and where to find one for your printer, thats the hard part. Otherwise I just set up my printer for the first time last night and found the process painless. However, I have yet to test the printer (networked OKI) since there is no print test page in the printer setup. Maybe I have missed something.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM

I'm calling it an 'Average'. While the steps themselves aren't difficult, there are a number of different possible steps depending on your hardware; I think that can be a potential source of confusion for (especially new) users.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM

foo2zjs came to my rescue... i installed an old HP 1020 plus.... runs fine
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM

I said average because it only took me about 15 minutes to connect to a network HP Photosmart C5140 printer. However, I did read the handbook, and knew my host address for the printer, and compromised a bit on my printer (I couldn't find my model in those listed so ended up accepting a different model which is okay for printing -- but I haven't figured out how to pull off scanning with the device (It's an all-in-one device)).

Anyway, for me this is okay but for someone with scant skills this would not be a tolerable process.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Default HP 2605dn
Followed the handbook, and got my HP 2605dn up and running easily. Used the HPLIP driver, and it autodiscovered the printer on the network and configured it for me. Printing to it worked perfectly. Total time was a couple of minutes and it was not complicated or difficult.
The Following User Says Thank You to mordak For This Useful Post:
jtscolorado (12-10-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Default Printing Support in PC-BSD
I had an easy install.

Mordak said: ". . . Used the HPLIP driver, and it autodiscovered the printer on the network and configured it for me. Printing to it worked perfectly. Total time was a couple of minutes and it was not complicated or difficult. " I had the same experience to install for an HP LaserJet 4Plus.

I used "HP Device Manager" available as an installation option (HPLIP) during the fresh install of PCBSD 9.2-RELEASE.

I liked that you could manually search for your ppd file, and the browse button took me to the directory of ppd files. The ppd files are compressed and display as YourPrinterName.ppd.gz so it was easy to identify the file you want if you know the name of your printer.

Installation was instantaneous, the Printer and its settings showed up, but the "Print Test Page" button did nothing.

I immediately loaded the traditional CUPS interface (Start -> Applications -> System ->Printers) and did the "Print Test Page" function there. Everything worked fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian_Robinson For This Useful Post:
jtscolorado (12-10-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Administrator of Justice and Stuff

My HP LaserJet 6L works fine. (circa July 1998)

Although I'm thinking it's about time to replace it soon.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 PM

Default Updated: successful install of HP Photosmart c5140 printer/scanner/copier
Thank you to Mordak and Ian_Robinson. After reading their posts, I decided to give it another shot at installing my HP Photosmart c5140 printer/copier/scanner. (Using PC-BSD 9.2 release amd64 -- and my printer is on wifi LAN at home)

See my post above -- in my previous install attempt, I tried to follow the PC-BSD handbook instructions and was only able to find a compatible printer driver but not able to set up scanning.

This time I used the HPLIP Device Manager that I had installed when I installed the OS (like what Mordak and Ian_Robinson suggested).

First, I chose "setup device".

Then I selected "Network/Ethernet/Wireless network" under Device Discovery popup -- and clicked on the "show advanced options" -- then clicked the check box "Manual Discovery" and entered the IP address for my printer. (If I didn't give it the IP address, it would not find the device on its own).

When I clicked "Next", it found my device accurately -- then I just had to browse for the correct PPD file -- for my device it was "hp-photosmart-c5100_series-hpijs.pp.gz". Then click "Add printer".

Not only am I able to fully use the printer over the network -- but now I am also able to make copies and scan pictures over the network as well -- again, using the HP Device Manager.

When scanning, it will use the XSane application and save the picture as a .pnm file.

As a tip, I could convert the .pnm file to a .jpg one using the following terminal command:

Code:
convert foobar.pnm foobar.jpg

Thanks again to those who posted above.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:35 PM

Default Hp-laserjet professional 1102w - got it working
But wouldn't auto discover hp-setup had to know the ip-address, but it does work