Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Default Cannot install PCBSD 9.1 or 9.2 on Intel NUC
Hi,

Has anyone managed to install PCBSD 9.1 or 9.2 on an Intel DC53427HYE NUC? The install of 9.2 is failing after the graphic successfully installs then requests a reboot without the install media.

There seems to be some issue with the intel graphics driver that is occuring on the reboot after install. This is difficult to resolve as the machine just freezes. As there are no root or user accounts you cannot remote into the box to play with the x conf files.

Is there a workaround so that you can do an install without X to let you manually configure X and get it going?

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by djb View Post
Hi,

Has anyone managed to install PCBSD 9.1 or 9.2 on an Intel DC53427HYE NUC? The install of 9.2 is failing after the graphic successfully installs then requests a reboot without the install media.

There seems to be some issue with the intel graphics driver that is occuring on the reboot after install. This is difficult to resolve as the machine just freezes. As there are no root or user accounts you cannot remote into the box to play with the x conf files.

Is there a workaround so that you can do an install without X to let you manually configure X and get it going?

Cheers
Dan
yes... intel drivers are becoming a problem with pcbsd...
but you should be able to boot into single user mode from where you can configure X manually....
when you get boot loader (grub} pcbsd is defalut selection, hit Esc button in less than 2 secs and you should be able to have an option for single user....
i dont use grub so i can tell you which option but i mean the single user mode that will boot into console mode where you can access your xorg.conf file.
The Following User Says Thank You to rvc For This Useful Post:
djb (10-19-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 AM

Thanks RVC,

I had already tried to do this and it will not work. The install will not boot into SAFE or single user mode from GRUB. I can get into GRUB and select all of the options but the boot always fails as either a kernel model is loaded or X starts.

There is no way of bringing the system up as a console. I don't understand the install process but it looks like the first pass is OK, graphics drivers work and install is successful. The system then needs a reboot to finish the install process and this is where the issue is.

I think I will just install FreeBSD on this box and see if I can get it up.

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks RVC,

I had already tried to do this and it will not work. The install will not boot into SAFE or single user mode from GRUB. I can get into GRUB and select all of the options but the boot always fails as either a kernel model is loaded or X starts.

There is no way of bringing the system up as a console. I don't understand the install process but it looks like the first pass is OK, graphics drivers work and install is successful. The system then needs a reboot to finish the install process and this is where the issue is.

I think I will just install FreeBSD on this box and see if I can get it up.

Cheers
Dan
i meant this...
HIT Esc when grub menu shows up
you will be shown pcbsd and the other OS [presumably windows if you are dual booting or NONE is no OS found]
hit enter on the pcbsd
you wil be shown options...
use single usermode to have a shell # lprompt
use mount -a option and you can edit / create and save the xorg file...
dont forget to disable GDM in /etc/rc.conf [somehow pcbsd and gdm dont seem to go in sync with intel as the driver ! add the below 2 lines...
gdm_enable="NO"
kdm_enable="YES"

save the rc.conf file and reboot...
Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Hi,

I know what you meant, listen to what I am saying and ericjc are saying in the other thread.

Yes I do hit "esc" when the grub menu comes up.
Yes I select pcbsd.
Yes I get the 3rd grub graphical menu that allows 4 different boot options.

Yes I do select "single usermode"

I then get a black screen of death. There is no command prompt.

If I select boot in safe mode. The machine starts to boot and show the ASCII text of the boot sequence but freezes very quickly with a kernel module issue.

I have the PC up with freeBSD seeing if I can get Xorg to work manually there now.

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 AM

I have X going under FreeBSD 9.2 now, thanks for the heads up on GDM. I'll add the lines to disable GDM into rc.conf now and install KDE4 from ports.

I have an xorg.conf that works but I cannot exit X back to a console. I think this is a known problem with the intel driver in freebsd and is mentioned in the handbook. I think this is the problem I'm seeing in PCBSD and why I cannot make it to the second part of the install and create user accounts.

At least I have a box that is up enough to ssh into and I can kick it back into life now when I get the black screen of death. When I get KDE going I shouldn't need to restart X very often so I will have a workable box.

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-15-2013, 03:15 PM

Hi,

I know what you meant, listen to what I am saying and ericjc are saying in the other thread.

Yes I do hit "esc" when the grub menu comes up.
Yes I select pcbsd.
Yes I get the 3rd grub graphical menu that allows 4 different boot options.

Yes I do select "single usermode"

I then get a black screen of death. There is no command prompt.

If I select boot in safe mode. The machine starts to boot and show the ASCII text of the boot sequence but freezes very quickly with a kernel module issue.
No options from the grub menus work, but I've isolated the issue:

I too saw the same thing on Lenovo M Series ThinkCentres.

I have isolated the issue to the i915* kernel module.

Booting the install DVD.
Press space at the text DVD boot menu & select to drop to the bootloader.
Type "boot -s" - boot to the DVD single user shell (sh).
Type "zpool import -f tank" - mounts the new root zfs filesystem on /mnt.
Type "cd /boot/kernel", mkdir "foo" & "mv i915* foo" - moves modules aside.
Type "cd /", "umount /mnt" & reboot, removing the DVD if required.

Installation then proceeds to verify the X resolution, keyboard, timezone & user creation.
The Following User Says Thank You to NuTz For This Useful Post:
djb (10-19-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 AM

Thanks Nutz,

Thanks for the help I now have a shell. Still having a few issues.

I got it up but it has come up in russian so struggling through the screens now picking users and screen resolution.

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-19-2013, 10:02 AM

Thanks everyone, finally have PCBSD 9.2 up on the Intel NUC. The issue is definately the i915* kernel module.

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks everyone, finally have PCBSD 9.2 up on the Intel NUC. The issue is definately the i915* kernel module.

Cheers
Dan
Thanks for the thanks,

My response to these issues made it to the trac system:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/ticket/771

It's the i915kms.ko - I used * to ensure all the associated files were moved aside too.

There are several trac tickets that sound like they have the same underlying cause. That includes a trac for a panic possibly.