Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Default USB mouse will not "reconnect"
I have a KVM switch which I have used for years (with PCBSD). Worked fine till v9.2.

I can boot my system with the Mouse connected all works fine. If I switch to another computer/laptop then go back to PCBSD the mouse will not connect. (The keyboard will connect and is usable) Requires restart to get the mouse function back.

Code:
# cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep usb
. . .
usbus0: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus1: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus2: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0
usbus3: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus4: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus5: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
usbus6: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0
. . .
ugen3.2: <CHICONY> at usbus3
ukbd0: <CHICONY Compaq USB Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.05, addr 2> on usbus3 kbd2 at ukbd0
uhid0: <CHICONY Compaq USB Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.05, addr 2> on usbus3
ugen3.3: <Kensington> at usbus3
ums0: <Kensington Kensington USBPS2 Orbit, class 0/0, rev 1.10/4.00, addr 3> on usbus3
ums0: 2 buttons and [XY] coordinates ID=0
Now I will switch to another port on KVM and back to the PCBSD machine... (or simply unplug the mouse and plug it back in)
Code:
#  dmesg | tail -n 11
ugen3.2: <CHICONY> at usbus3 (disconnected)
ukbd0: at uhub3, port 1, addr 2 (disconnected)
uhid0: at uhub3, port 1, addr 2 (disconnected)
ugen3.3: <Kensington> at usbus3 (disconnected)
ums0: at uhub3, port 2, addr 3 (disconnected)
ugen3.2: <CHICONY> at usbus3
ukbd0: <CHICONY Compaq USB Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.05, addr 2> on usbus3 kbd2 at ukbd0
uhid0: <CHICONY Compaq USB Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.05, addr 2> on usbus3
ugen3.3: <Kensington> at usbus3
ums0: <Kensington Kensington USBPS2 Orbit, class 0/0, rev 1.10/4.00, addr 3> on usbus3
ums0: 2 buttons and [XY] coordinates ID=0
I am running the KDE desktop as installed and updated. I have also had the same issue on another PC running newly installed and updated PCBSD if I unplug the mouse and plug it back in.
Code:
#uname -a 
FreeBSD workstation6 9.2-RELEASE-p8 FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p8 #0: Mon Sep 23 16:26:45 UTC 2013
      root@amd64-builder.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
ok.. need to restart now to get my mouse back.

Thanks.

Last edited by bforest; 10-20-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:47 PM

Can someone check to see if they can unplug their USB mouse ... Plug it back in and still have mouse functions?

I am not sure if this is a PCBSD issue or FreeBSD issue but I am experiencing this on different workstations running PCBSD9.2.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 AM

I have noticed the same problem except that I am on bare metal (so ok it's a long story of how I end up in that situation but I tried to share a usb mouse between two pcs on the same desk.) The windows box auto-detects the usb mouse when re-inserted but the PCBSD one doesn't. I am running Release 9.2-p8. I tried restarting moused but that hasn't helped. Perhaps rescanning usb devices may help, but I am not sure how to do that.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Trac Ticket has been created https://trac.pcbsd.org/ticket/777#ticket
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshDW19 For This Useful Post:
Treavize (11-14-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:10 AM

Thanks JoshDW19...

Last night I installed a FreeBSD system 9.2-Release-p0. I was able to physically disconnect and reconnect the mouse with no problem. (on the text based screen (no X installed))

moused was running and the mouse cousor would move following my actions with the mouse just as it did before disconnect.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 AM

Red face USB mouse will not "reconnect" - update
Originally Posted by AN00B View Post
I have noticed the same problem except that I am on bare metal (so ok it's a long story of how I end up in that situation but I tried to share a usb mouse between two pcs on the same desk.) The windows box auto-detects the usb mouse when re-inserted but the PCBSD one doesn't. I am running Release 9.2-p8. I tried restarting moused but that hasn't helped. Perhaps rescanning usb devices may help, but I am not sure how to do that.
Ok, so the box has struck back. After something stupid I did ( the last I can remember is moving the contents to /bin directory to Owncloud and then groping to find it! finally bringing it back) - I am unable to connect both keyboard and mouse even after reboot. I am able to ssh into the box from another machine and x-forward the desktop/gnome3 session but that's about it. The local devices are non-responsive. Any idea what I can do to make sure that all is working. I've tried : pc-updatemanager check and pkgcheck but both report no updates required. I have also run the pkgcheck -bd options but no luck. Same result with pcbsdupdate and the system reports that I am on the latest version - 9.2Release-p8. Anyway to "reinstall" the system without wiping our the hdd and starting afresh?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:24 PM

ANOOB, It sounds like most of your many issues may be self inflicted and different from the issue being discussed.

This "thread" is about not being able to disconnect and reconnect the Mouse while the system is running.

If you read back a few posts you will see that a "bug ticket" has been introduced for this issue so ... we need to wait till they get to it and ... till then... deal with the Mouse issue (don't unplug it).

- - - - - - -
Also, on another note (my opinion) your messages are kinda hard to follow because you just write one long paragraph with separate issues and questions and "stuff I did to the system" mixed in etc...

Quote:
Any idea what I can do to make sure that all is working.
Since it sounds like you totally removed a system sub-directory (/bin) and did some other things to the base system that you maybe should not have, I would suggest you back up your personal data and re-install the system from scratch. ... just so you (and others) know exactly what you have installed and configured. (yes... "start afresh")

I have installed PCBSD9.2 on about 4 different physical systems in the past few weeks. The issue being discussed in this thread {Mouse disconnect / reconnect} is consistent across all of these machines.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by bforest View Post
ANOOB, It sounds like most of your many issues may be self inflicted and different from the issue being discussed.

This "thread" is about not being able to disconnect and reconnect the Mouse while the system is running.

If you read back a few posts you will see that a "bug ticket" has been introduced for this issue so ... we need to wait till they get to it and ... till then... deal with the Mouse issue (don't unplug it).

- - - - - - -
Also, on another note (my opinion) your messages are kinda hard to follow because you just write one long paragraph with separate issues and questions and "stuff I did to the system" mixed in etc...

Since it sounds like you totally removed a system sub-directory (/bin) and did some other things to the base system that you maybe should not have, I would suggest you back up your personal data and re-install the system from scratch. ... just so you (and others) know exactly what you have installed and configured. (yes... "start afresh")

I have installed PCBSD9.2 on about 4 different physical systems in the past few weeks. The issue being discussed in this thread {Mouse disconnect / reconnect} is consistent across all of these machines.
Ben,

Sorry at the attempt to inject some humour at what is going to be a painful reinstall for me! I am suitably reprimanded!

If you read my original note I too faced the same issue - remove the usb mouse from a running system and it won't get recognized when you reinsert the usb dongle.

You are also right that the current situation is self-inflicted. I will re-install the system and yes this issue belongs to another thread.

Have a good day :-)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Will there be a 9.3? and if so... any chance of getting that DevD configuration added.

Is this something I could add to my system to start my mouse without much trouble? ...or would it conflict with HAL?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=devd&sektion=8
Old 11-07-2013, 09:54 PM

@bforest -

It looks like devd integration is on track for 10.* but I don't know what the timeline is for that. See Kris' post to trac [1].

HTH.

[1] http://trac.pcbsd.org/ticket/777#comment:2