Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 AM

Default 9.2 install completes but booting fails
I tried installing the PCBSD9.2-RELEASE-x64-DVD-latest.iso (dated 9-6-2012) and the install worked fine. I chose PC-BSD and all defaults except for selecting all the (supported) window managers. The graphical install proceeded fine all the way the screen that tells you to reboot.

However booting, I get the Welcome to Grub!
Then,
kdb: current backend: ddb
followed by a screen and half or os of text which scrolls by too fast for me to read it at which point the screen blanks and there is no further harddisk (or DVD) activity.

I can bring up the graphical bootloader screen if I hit Esc when the Grub message comes up, and select the one BE present and then select from the list of boot options. I've tried selecting VESA, and single user mode but neither gets me any further.

This is a Thinkpad t420. I successfully installed an 9.1-RELEASE DVD iso on the same machine (with a different harddisk installed) a few weeks ago without this problem.

Any ideas? Anything I can try to diagnose or fix it? I can swap hard disks again and boot into the working 9.1 pc-bsd, plug this 9.2 harddisk in as a secondary disk if that will get me anywhere.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 AM

at times, patience pays off
check this THREAD may be your problem is solved too ?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 AM

Yeah I saw that, among others that mentioned issues with Intel graphics, but my symptoms seemed different. I saw no such big pause in the install, that ran fine.

I let my blank screen on post-install boot sit overnignt... Was that patient enough? :^) But I will try the VESA boot suggested and let that sit for 10-15 minutes...I didn't give my VESA boot attempt that long.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 AM

Ok, the VESA boot has sat at the blank screen for a good 20 minutes now...I will probably leave it even longer since I won't be trying anything further on that system right now, but I think it's safe to say it's not just the Intel driver lagging.

FWIW, though, this laptop has the Intel HD 3000 graphics.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ericjs View Post
Ok, the VESA boot has sat at the blank screen for a good 20 minutes now...I will probably leave it even longer since I won't be trying anything further on that system right now, but I think it's safe to say it's not just the Intel driver lagging.

FWIW, though, this laptop has the Intel HD 3000 graphics.
try to reboot and choose SAFE mode [not the VESA].
as X is not configured, the system willl go in for that ! previous to what i did by waiting till intel driver picked up [mine is Series 4000 Express Chipset]
hopefully you will reach to an "X" configured desktop
Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM

rvc, Safe mode is not an option in the boot menu. It is an option in booting from the installer DVD, but I didn't have trouble running the installer, even in normal mode. If is after the installer has finished, booting from the hard disk, that I end up at the blank screen no matter what boot option I choose, and "Safe Mode" is not an option in that menu.

Or am I missing the point of your suggestion? Can I do something from that safemode boot off the DVD to diagnose my install?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 PM

rvc, Safe mode is not an option in the boot menu. It is an option in booting from the installer DVD, but I didn't have trouble running the installer, even in normal mode. If is after the installer has finished, booting from the hard disk, that I end up at the blank screen no matter what boot option I choose, and "Safe Mode" is not an option in that menu.

Or am I missing the point of your suggestion? Can I do something from that safemode boot off the DVD to diagnose my install?
when you boot, you must be getting the ASCII styled PC-BSD screen. it is there for just a few seconds, just hit Enter in that screen and it will present you with other menus.
OPTION 4 is TOGGLE SAFE MODE.
i think you missed out to hit enter in the PC-BSD screen
Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM

When I boot from the hard disk, if I don't touch anything, I get no menu , just the screen or two of text as I described. If I hit Esc when the Grub message appears I get a graphical PC-BSD Bootloader menu, in blue with the Isotope Infusion logo and swirl on the background, with 1 choice (the default BE), and selecting that I get a choice between
  • Normal Bootup
  • Single User mode
  • Verbose Mode
  • Run the Display Wizard
  • Run X in vesa mode

Any of these gives me the same result (Verbose mode just with more lines of text). I've never seen any such ascii menu. Perhaps it is crapping out before that menu.

Last edited by ericjs; 09-10-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 PM

When I boot from the hard disk, if I don't touch anything, I get no menu , just the screen or two of text as I described. If I hit Esc when the Grub message appears I get a graphical PC-BSD Bootloader menu, in blue with the Isotope Infusion logo and swirl on the background, with 1 choice (the default BE), and selecting that I get a choice between
  • Normal Bootup
  • Single User mode
  • Verbose Mode
  • Run the Display Wizard
  • Run X in vesa mode

Any of these gives me the same result (Verbose mode just with more lines of text). I've never seen any such ascii menu. Perhaps it is crapping out before that menu.
Oh... in my case i removed the GRUB from the MBR and i am using 3rd party boot manager [EasyBCD in my case] i removed it coz that was not taking in my Windows install ! so i decided to do away with it ! It will be nice if that SAFE option is also included in this ! try selecting normal boot and hit enter, do you get any other choice ?

by the way, try Run Display Wizard mode, wait.... [have to check your patience if you have intel chhipset... long long wait] after a patient wait, your intel driver will load. just configure and set it. the reboot will not take this long to get you to X

Last edited by rvc; 09-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM

Again, no. Unless by "long time" you mean hours, then no. I have tried ALL the boot options and given each of them a long time. None of them ever comes out of the blank screen. I just let Run Display Wizard mode sit at the blank screen for about an hour.

I've now tried this with the latest 9.2 ISO, the one based on RC4. I get exactly the same results. To reiterate:

The graphical installer runs fine. It gets to the "Your system is now installed! Click Finish to reboot. After rebooting you may eject the install media." I do so and starts booting from the hard disk, GRUB welcome message, it scrolls maybe 2 screens of info too fast for me to read and then blank screen. No disk activity. Never comes out of it.

Hitting esc at the GRUB welcome gives me the graphical boot menu. Shows the 1 ZFS BE "default". I select that and get the standard list. I've tried them all, no matter what I choose I get the same result (other than more text scrolling by too fast to read from verbose mode).

Again, the 9.1 RELEASE ISO installed fine and booted fine on this same system.

Last edited by ericjs; 09-16-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typos