Old 09-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Default problems starting a few programs
running pcbsd 9.1 release -p18.
i am able to execute claws-mail / gimp etc from either gnome or kde desktop but not from fluxbox / openbox. i try to run in CLI and here is the output
Quote:
[rvc@infusion] ~% gimp &
[1] 15178
[rvc@infusion] ~% Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number

[1] Segmentation fault gimp
[rvc@infusion] ~%
any idea why this is happening ? the output is similar for the programs not loading in *BOX WM
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM

In some of the smaller window managers, there might not be a user-level instance of DBUS running - which causes issues with some applications that expect it to be there.
Try running:
Code:
dbus-launch --exit-with-session gimp &
to see if that fixes the issue. If so, you might need to modify your startup script(s) to make sure that dbus gets started up when you log in to that desktop/WM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
Try running:
Code:
dbus-launch --exit-with-session gimp &
to see if that fixes the issue. If so, you might need to modify your startup script(s) to make sure that dbus gets started up when you log in to that desktop/WM.
nope... still the same here is the output
Quote:
[rvc@infusion] ~% dbus-launch --exit-with-session gimp &
[1] 11284
[rvc@infusion] ~% Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Could you let me know which version(s) you are using? I will try to reproduce these errors in my VM (fluxbox only - minimal packages installed) and see if there is something wrong with the PBI.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM

Could you let me know which version(s) you are using? I will try to reproduce these errors in my VM (fluxbox only - minimal packages installed) and see if there is something wrong with the PBI.
GIMP = GIMP_2_8_4-123-g82888aa
Claws-mail = Claws Mail version 3.9.2
Quote:
[rvc@infusion] ~% uname -a
FreeBSD infusion 9.1-RELEASE-p18 FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p18 #0: Thu Aug 22 20:40:42 UTC 2013 root@amd64-builder.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
[rvc@infusion] ~%
WM: Fluxbox
Quote:
[rvc@infusion] ~% fluxbox -v
Fluxbox 1.3.5 : (c) 2001-2011 Fluxbox Team
may be this will help ?

i ve installed gimp and claws-mail using pkgng and not through PBI

Last edited by rvc; 09-09-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added more details
Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by rvc View Post
i ve installed gimp and claws-mail using pkgng and not through PBI

Ah, that might be the problem. The PBI's go through a quality testing phase (usually by me) before they are officially released to the masses while the package system does not have this type of quality assurance (simply due to the number of packages available) except for making sure that the PC-BSD base packages and desktops environments work.

If you find an issue with one of the packages you will need to go directly to the FreeBSD port maintainer(s) and see if this is a known issue and/or find a fix for the port.

In the meantime, I know that the Gimp and Claws-mail PBI's work just fine in Fluxbox, so you might want to consider just switching over to using those for the time being.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 AM

Ah, that might be the problem. The PBI's go through a quality testing phase (usually by me) before they are officially released to the masses while the package system does not have this type of quality assurance (simply due to the number of packages available) except for making sure that the PC-BSD base packages and desktops environments work.

If you find an issue with one of the packages you will need to go directly to the FreeBSD port maintainer(s) and see if this is a known issue and/or find a fix for the port.

In the meantime, I know that the Gimp and Claws-mail PBI's work just fine in Fluxbox, so you might want to consider just switching over to using those for the time being.
thank you Ken...
prior to pkgng i was happily using the packages from PBIs... [perhaps its the reason for my liking towards pkg and not having the necessity to download a huge package under the PBI where all the deps and libs are part and parcel of every package... can say my laziness ]
even under pkg, till the prev update, i was able to run them, started facing this probs just a few days ! lets hope the next update clears this ?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:34 AM

Yes, the packages are simply the pre-compiled versions of all the FreeBSD ports at a given date/time. So it is possible that the port itself was broken at the time the packages were building (although not broken enough to prevent the package from building successfully). Usually issues like this are solved pretty quickly in the ports tree (so the next package set will have it fixed for you), but it is always a good idea to contact the port maintainer to make sure that he is/was aware of the problem if the version of the port is still the same version as the package.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 AM

Yes, the packages are simply the pre-compiled versions of all the FreeBSD ports at a given date/time. So it is possible that the port itself was broken at the time the packages were building (although not broken enough to prevent the package from building successfully). Usually issues like this are solved pretty quickly in the ports tree (so the next package set will have it fixed for you), but it is always a good idea to contact the port maintainer to make sure that he is/was aware of the problem if the version of the port is still the same version as the package.
thanks again Ken...
i am looking into this issue in other ways too....
after a reboot and into my openbox, i was able to run these two programs in the "run" command [i was not able to do so earlier] then i try the same with the cairo-dock menu and the launcher i created, i could not ! i tried with lxde menu and i could open it ! may be something cairo-dock part ? i installed cairo-dock through Appcafe as it was not available in pkg repo !

solution seems to be solved partly [except the cairo-dock launcher part] so i ll dig into more of this !
Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Ok, the problem with Cairo-Dock is that you have it installed as a PBI.

Because Cairo-Dock is installed as a PBI, is it not using the system libraries but instead is using all the ones that come packages with the PBI (/usr/pbi/cair-dock-amd64/lib). Once you try to then have Cairo-Dock open up a system binary (such as GIMP, since you installed it as a package) that new application is also trying to use the Cairo-Dock PBI libraries instead of the system libraries (and fails- probably because of a library version mismatch).

If you have GIMP and the other application that you want Cairo-Dock to run also installed as PBI's, then they (should) work properly because of the PBI binary wrapper scripts which reset the library paths and such for the new instance of the application. However, since you have your applications installed as system packages, you will probably want to install Cairo-Dock as a system package as well just to avoid the library mixing issue.