Old 09-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Harshvardhan
Default PCBSD9.2 AMD64- Display go away in mid of installation
I was trying to install latest AMD64 iso of PCBSD 9.2, but suddenly in display goes away.
Last message was:
"Videocard1: Intel Corporation"

And then my monitor stopped displaying and then told it had no input signal.

I use Intel(R) HD Graphics Family card. What should I do?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Harshvardhan View Post
I was trying to install latest AMD64 iso of PCBSD 9.2, but suddenly in display goes away.
Last message was:
"Videocard1: Intel Corporation"

And then my monitor stopped displaying and then told it had no input signal.

I use Intel(R) HD Graphics Family card. What should I do?
intel driver is a big problem in the latest ISOs. i had to go for manual config and GDM does not fit into this, had to resort to KDM4 for graphic login.

choose VESA mode for install, let the install finish and then reboot in VESA. then follow this link, which may be of help to you. i followed that and have posted my issues. best of luck...

P.S: i wonder if intel onboard driver will be identified in the new ISOs as it used to detect in the previous install. we had option of intel / intel-3d if i remember right !
The Following User Says Thank You to rvc For This Useful Post:
Harshvardhan (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by rvc View Post
intel driver is a big problem in the latest ISOs. i had to go for manual config and GDM does not fit into this, had to resort to KDM4 for graphic login.

choose VESA mode for install, let the install finish and then reboot in VESA. then follow this link, which may be of help to you. i followed that and have posted my issues. best of luck...

P.S: i wonder if intel onboard driver will be identified in the new ISOs as it used to detect in the previous install. we had option of intel / intel-3d if i remember right !
I tried installing in VESA but still same problem. As soon as it try to load X, Moniters cease to display anything (claiming No Signal Output). Last time in 9.1 I was atleast able to install in VESA and then somehow I managed to get back to normal mode.

But this time install don't even continue even in VESA mode. I mean is there any way to solve this or moving to nVidia is only real option?

I accidently broke my PC-BSD 9.1 install while installing libreoffice from ports. I no longer had CD so installed ubuntu as temperary way to get work going again.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM

I tried installing in VESA but still same problem. As soon as it try to load X, Moniters cease to display anything (claiming No Signal Output). Last time in 9.1 I was atleast able to install in VESA and then somehow I managed to get back to normal mode.

But this time install don't even continue even in VESA mode. I mean is there any way to solve this or moving to nVidia is only real option?

I accidently broke my PC-BSD 9.1 install while installing libreoffice from ports. I no longer had CD so installed ubuntu as temperary way to get work going again.
the last install i made, i could set it right too, just try to reinstall and in the selection screen, check if VESA gets activated [something like xvesa set message appearing below] it was not appearing so i too could not get to vesa... i kept trying and it finally picked up... some workaround
Old 09-07-2013, 04:41 PM

the last install i made, i could set it right too, just try to reinstall and in the selection screen, check if VESA gets activated [something like xvesa set message appearing below] it was not appearing so i too could not get to vesa... i kept trying and it finally picked up... some workaround
Saddest part of my story is, it is appearing that VESA is on at bottom :P

But as you said, I'll give it more tries to get it going
Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM

Saddest part of my story is, it is appearing that VESA is on at bottom :P

But as you said, I'll give it more tries to get it going
in about a day or two, i ll give a shot after i download the 9.2 ISO hope i can get to the bottom and post something positive on this issue
Old 09-07-2013, 05:43 PM

in about a day or two, i ll give a shot after i download the 9.2 ISO hope i can get to the bottom and post something positive on this issue
Hello! I solved this issue. Currently commenting from my latest PC BSD 9.2 AMD64!

I tested more. When we lose display from the moniter, I waited. It worked like charm! Though I installed it using VESA (still got no display when x was first started during install, though waiting help). When I started PC-BSD 9.2 first time, I didn't loaded it with VESA. Again got dark screen for a while, but I waited for a time and yes it worked! I think FreeBSD's intel drivers didn't failed but took more time to load. Now it woudln't show black screens again(as set it for once and for all without VESA).

This was really cool exprience. I don't know how much I waited both time. I was Gita in Sanskrit original, I think I read 2-3 pages each time I waited? But it was fruitful.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:25 AM

Viola.... great to notice intel river worked !
Old 09-12-2013, 02:05 AM

Default More of the same
Sounds like this is bordering on my problem, so I'll follow up here.

Unfortunately, I haven't been so lucky to get my system booted.

First my hardware:

MB is an Intel DH77EB, BIOS EBH7710.86A.0053.2012.0213.1543
Processor is i5-3570 @ 3.40 GHz, 6M L3 cache, 8G RAM.
Monitor is ASUS VN247H-P. Using the DVI connector on the MB to one of the HDMI connectors on the monitor. Installing on a 1.5TB SATA disk.

I'm trying to install PCBSD 9.1 or 9.2. I started with 9.1, but could not even get to the installer screen, no matter what I did, or how long I waited. I tried booting the install disk in safe mode, but this paniced the kernel about 15 stack frames deep in mi_startup.

With 9.2, if I wait long enough, I can get to the installer screen, either using VESA or not. I get all the way through the installation, but when I reboot after the installation, the screen goes blank very early in the boot sequence (like within 10 or 15 seconds, before I have a chance to interact with the kernel) and never returns.

I suspect that there is something I can do by booting from the install disk to disable X to allow me to at least complete the first startup, create a user, etc., but I could use some pointers as to what to do.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Default 9.2 and installer....
i tried out the 9.2 installer on a HP laptop [of my buddy].... with intel HD300 chipset

i instert the DVD iso p5 [sep 6], boot off it and let it take the default.
i am happy to note that the installer showed up the GUI and i checked the hardware compat list and everything is configured fine [intel driver included ]
then i choose just the LXDE and not interested in any heavy desktops [i wanted to test run]. install completes fine and i hit FINISH and reboot to go further for root password and username creation.

now the problem started.... nothing showed up even after almost 30 min of waiting and the irony is the laptop went for thermal shutdown

i reboot, choose the SAFE mode as i did for my 9.1 and nothing worked, same problem repeats and the laptop shuts down

ironically there is no VESA option in the 9.2 boot menu options ! so i cant even dig into setting up X manually !

still wondering how the installer identified everything andpost install issues get me to a blank screen ! now my buddy says he will go back installing old MINT where everything works out of the box hard to convince a person with such issues !