Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Default AppCafe download problems
Hi,

played around with 9.1-RELEASE a bit the last days. Unfortunately, half the time I get "Can't download pbi" errors when attempting to install something through AppCafe. Then after a while it starts working for 20 minutes, after which it reverts back to not being able to download the pbi. And since I don't get a useful error message, I can't even imagine what's wrong.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:06 AM

Sometimes I have success using the command line tools when AppCafe doesn't want to cooperate.

Try installing an app from the terminal and see if that works

sudo pbi_add -v -r appname
Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Itproman
Cool Another way to download PBIs
Here's what I did tonight:

1)I went to the posted link and chose the file I wanted using Konqueror(since I'm using KDE),then I chose "Save As" from the window that popped up
2)After downloading I opened the KGet Download Manager(I probably could've just gone to /downloads in my Home folder) and right-clicked and chose "open destination
3)I double clicked on the file and followed the instructions and the install started
4)I went to the menu and opened the program to confirm it worked.

I did this,because I had the same problem and I read that I could download stuff manually.In my case,I tried Firefox,Chromium and Skype.

Last edited by Itproman; 09-04-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Thank you, but that doesn't really explain what was actually wrong, or how I can wrestle more information from the system to find that out. Or has the default repo hiccups like that regularly?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Would you mind letting me know which PBI(s) would not install for you so that I can check on them?
Occasionally a flag in the repo is simply mis-set for a particular PBI, resulting in a failure to install the PBI.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 PM

I don't think the particular PBI is at fault. I could queue a dozen up, the first few downloaded and installed fine, then the rest fail to download. Wait a few minutes to hours and they work again. Maybe. Sometimes. Last example was chromium which I installed a few hours ago. Yesterday evening it wouldn't download. Once this starts, no PBI can be fetched through AppCafe.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:10 PM

Are you sure that you have a stable internet connection then? It could be that something upstream from you (like at your ISP) gets messed up after a while and needs a reset.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Yes, I'm very sure about my connection. It may not be the very best, but it's stable, and everything else (streaming, test downloads, apt-get on a laptop etc.) runs smoothly.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Hmmm.... here's another issue that might be related:
Today's security update of the base system that the update manager proposes can't be downloaded due to an "unknown error".
Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 PM

The security update issue is unrelated to this: we just patched the GUI update utility this morning and a fixed package should be getting pushed out for it here very soon to fix this issue.

I am running tests on my computer with "bulk" installs of applications, but I am not running into the connection/installation issues that you have mentioned. Perhaps it is a connection issue with the PC-BSD CDN that is causing it for you.