Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 PM

Default where to find a PCBSD9.1-RELEASE-x32 ?
i've got windows 7 as OS and it's a 32bits
i've installed on oracle VM VirtualBox, then downloaded
PCBSD9.1-RELEASE-x64-DVD-latest.iso
but when i launch PCBCD on virtualbox i have that error message :
"cpu doesn't support long mode ".
seemingly it's because i've to install PCBSD9.1-RELEASE-x32
and not PCBSD9.1-RELEASE-x64
but when i try to find RELEASE-x32 i dont find it.
thank you for your help !
Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 AM

You could download a VBOX image for virtualbox and import it:
http://iso.cdn.pcbsd.org/9.1/i386/
Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM

As of about a month ago, PC-BSD no longer supports 32-bit systems and only releases images and applications for 64-bit systems.
There are still a few of the legacy 32-bit images available (as Jungle-Boogie pointed to one), but some things will not work fully anymore (like the Warden and building PBI's) because they expect to fetch clean 32-bit build environments (which don't exist on our servers anymore).
Old 07-29-2013, 04:56 PM

Ken,

How do you suggest those with legacy hardware maintain their pcbsd machines? Unfortunately, I just happened to get interested in PCBSD a little too late since I have an ancient dell d610. I suppose this means investing in newer 64bit hardware. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jungle
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM

I would definitely go with new hardware. 32 bit is increasingly being left behind, rightfully so.

In the meantime if you simply cant spring for new hardware you can just go straight FreeBSD. FreeBSD will likely continue 32 bit support for many years to come.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM

I agree with Litfan.

You can get decent a 64-bit motherboard/cpu combo packs from www.newegg.com for a pretty reasonable price nowdays, so it shouldn't be too expensive to update your system if you need to.

FreeBSD will also continue to support 32-bit without problems. We at the PC-BSD project had to make the decision to drop it however because it was preventing us from moving on with developing features that are really important for desktop usage (like boot-environment snapshots) that require the use of ZFS (which does not work on 32-bit very well).
Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM

Hi Ken and Litfan,

I understand the desire to kill off 32bit. I'm not sour at PCBSD, only myself for coming to the project too late with ancient hardware.

What's a laptop recommendation between $400 to $600 that would work well with 64bit PCBSD. Understandably, I won't be able to get a top of the line machine with gigs of RAM but i don' really require that--I just want to use pcbsd with its snapshots and zfs awesomeness.

Best,
jungle
Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 PM

Well, you can look through the PC-BSD web store[1] to see the laptops that are known to work perfectly with PC-BSD. Another option would be to just find a nice one on NewEgg (my preferred hardware retailer) or tigerdirect, but be careful of a few things:

1) Make sure that it comes with a non-UEFI bios (so an older Windows 7 laptop) if you plan on doing some kind of dual-booting. The newer Win8 Laptops lockdown the bios so that you cannot have anything else installed unless you turn on the "legacy" mode (which de-activates booting into Windows 8).

2) Make sure that you have NVIDIA graphics support (non-optimus) if possible, although Intel works OK in some situations.

3) The wireless chipset is always the big unknown for laptops. But I suppose if you get a bad one that is cheaper, you could always make sure there is room in the budget to get one of those little USB wireless receivers that is known to work with FreeBSD and use that instead.

I know there are a few other forum threads down in the hardware section where a number of guys discuss different laptops, you might want to check in there and see if there are any others that are specially recommended.

[1] http://www.pcbsd.org/store
Old 09-14-2013, 10:11 PM

Default what happened to them?
I know I saw a 32 bit version just a few months ago of 9.1 on the PC-BSD site and yet they did not archive it. Do you know where they went and where one can get the 32 bit copys. Also does this mean that PC-BSD will now suport 128 bit cpu's in the future?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Linuxgamer94 View Post
I know I saw a 32 bit version just a few months ago of 9.1 on the PC-BSD site and yet they did not archive it. Do you know where they went and where one can get the 32 bit copys. Also does this mean that PC-BSD will now suport 128 bit cpu's in the future?
PC-BSD no longer supports 32 bits CPU. Even if you could manage to find an old ISO, you won't have any packages I assume.

And 128 bits CPU don't exists yet.

What hardware are you using since you can't use 64 bits ?