Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 AM

Default ZFS why?
Ok, I have been using PCBSD as my main pc for about 4 months now and I like it.

I have a system with 12GB RAM and ZFS.

I have never touched it, I could be running ext3 for all I could tell.

I know ZFS can do all sorts of cool things, but what are folks doing with it on the desktop. (Running a linux jail with zfs snapshots might be cool but holds little interest for me at this time).

"Kris Moore: ZFS will change your life."

So what am I missing? (I am not bashing zfs here, I seriously want to know what else I could be doing with it)

Bill
Old 07-15-2013, 08:52 AM

You are missing save upgrades and test environments with beadm. E.g. before an upgrade, make a new boot environment, and if anything goes wrong, you could just reboot into the old knowen to work boot environment. You could also have periodic snapshots of your $HOME, and if you by mistake deleted a file, you could restore it from an old snapshot. There are many more ways ZFS could be used for the desktop.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Correct, probably the biggest "feature" for desktop users will be the instant system backup & system restore functionality we can offer via boot-environments. Think of windows system restore that actually works

Alongside that will be how we do home-directory encryption using PEFS, which using ZFS under the hood allows us to still do snapshots of your encrypted data, etc.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 PM

Aside from the snapshots and boot options, there is deduplication, data compression, multiple copies of files to counter bit-rot, easy expansion of storage space, on-line cleaning.... All of these are great for desktop systems.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM

I'm guessing you are coming over from Linux, and wondering about ZFS vs EXT4/btrfs/LVM2? Here is the long and short of it, in terms of what a non-technical user would appreciate: ZFS is a very fast file system that supports full encryption (choosing between BTRFS for speed or LVM2 for security is an issue with Linux right now). The use of pools in ZFS allows you to resize the equivalent of "partitions" on the fly. To give you an example, I tried to install TexLive on Linux awhile back, and ran into the hassle of having to remount my /tmp partition (which was btrfs) due to the size of TexLive being 1GB. Doable, but a real headache that is completely unneeded in ZFS. ZFS also makes backing up your data incredibly easy with the snapshots that were aforementioned; I think that when the PC-BSD GUI for this is implemented, you will really start to see people jump on board.