Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM

Angry App cafe problems
Hi,

I keep trying to send bug reports to the PBI-Dev mailing lists only for my mail to get bounced, and it seems it does not matter which mailing list(support, testing or PBI-Dev) or email provider, my own ISP, gmail hotmail it gets bounced anyways, yet people over sea's and others are able?

here is a copy \paste of the bounced E-mail I have received but the first few sentences are clipped?

(clipped : Hi, I am having a problem installing the latest VLC 2.0.6 from app-cafe, it seems to download at a ridiculously fast speed, 12MB/s only to halt and time out at 93% then have a pop - up error message stating I am not connected to the network?

nemysis, had the same bug in which I was replying to .

Kris , also mentioned it might be an aria2 bug.... end of clipped message)

while every thing else downloads at 600~kb/s ?

Is VLC on a different server node?

also your Firefox and chromium PBI's are horrible they don't work with
Facebook or Youtube , much less the most popular link sharing services, bit.ly and owl.ly

The submission/copy&paste buttons get disfigured and distorted when sharing
various materials.
Action needed to replicate:
For bit.ly and owl.ly
Choose an URL or any web-link to input into the link shortening field ,
watch the submission button become distorted and illegible after clicking the
said button
Tried both FreeBSD ports and PBI
Error not apparent when using pkg_add - r for chromium , so most likelya
build / use-flag issue

for youtube:

no specific action required, video placeholders and navigation menus mysteriously disappear / reappear erratically making browsing you tube difficult

tested with Ipc.plugins on/off as suggested on the FreeBSD forums to no result, this only fixes the actual videos not the footnotes/place holders of such, nor the navigation menus, versions this affects 17-21

- Ignored due to malformed command syntax:

Error apparent in both ports and PBI for firefox , so maybe a significantly
larger issue?

I have a guy who is a BSD developer and runs his on rolling release type
thing , to allow both FreeBSD users and PC-BSD users to be able to use
Gnome-shell and cinnamon window managers /UI

he is located at:

http://www.pkgdemon.com/

he replicated these bugs with the above information I have provided...

see his bug tracker for the other required information's, like the
troubleshooting process we discussed on it

- Done.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:14 PM

We did get that full email on the "testing" mailing list, but you cc'ed a nonexistant "testing-request" list as well.
You can see the mailing lists (and what exact addresses to use) here[1].

As for the PBI download issue, you will need to check what mirror you are using. All the PBI's that you download should be coming from the same mirror, so no special treatment for the VLC PBI... :-)

As for the Youtube and Facebook issues, we have not seen any of the issues you mention with the PBI's. Could you give us more exact details, not only of the problem (maybe with screenshots?), but also your system configuration and what version of the PBI's you were using?

[1] http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 AM

Arrow
Here is a snapshot of the browser problem in chrome

and here is the you tube problem in firefox:

But as a simple suggestion It would be nice if it would not be needed to have to post my complete system specifications each and EVERY time I have a problem, it's very annoying and after two years of doing this here and various other forums it's starting to get very frustrating....

I have already suggested that a central database, of everyone's hardware specifications(if they are willing, of course) rather it would listed on the person's details on the forum or otherwise , would be useful.

I would write one myself , but considering that I have absolutely no coding/programming skills what-so-ever towards web databases or programming in general, nor the time to learn such.... I am kinda in a bind there!

It should be quite easy, the evga forums (they sell GPU's and other hardware) have such a database

Also why would I be getting a "bounce" email reply from my ISP's mailing daemon along with the one the mailing list software sends? if it went thorough? I see it on the mailing list this morning, but I am confused?

Would you be so kind and generous to help me out with these problems?

Thanks!

Last edited by jdx2013; 06-21-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: replaced image hoster for chromium img
Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 AM

As you can see the other button in facebook( chromium) has blurry text

And the navigation menu's are gone in youtube (firefox)
Old 06-21-2013, 06:21 AM

My system specifications are :

Amd phenom 1075T 3.0GHZ

> I use an nvidia EVGA 520GT, for GPU
>
> The motherboard is
>
> M4A79XTD EVO By Asus
>
> Serial number: B3OAD305261
>
> Part number: 90-MIBAJO-GOAAY0KZ
>
> Corsair vengeance 1333 MHZ ram modules 4x2 memory sticks
>
>Intel pro GT (legacy) 100/1000 NIC using the em0 driver

I hope this helps :-D
Old 06-21-2013, 06:25 AM

Angry
Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
We did get that full email on the "testing" mailing list, but you cc'ed a nonexistant "testing-request" list as well.
You can see the mailing lists (and what exact addresses to use) here[1].

As for the PBI download issue, you will need to check what mirror you are using. All the PBI's that you download should be coming from the same mirror, so no special treatment for the VLC PBI... :-)

As for the Youtube and Facebook issues, we have not seen any of the issues you mention with the PBI's. Could you give us more exact details, not only of the problem (maybe with screenshots?), but also your system configuration and what version of the PBI's you were using?

[1] http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo
And by the way, I did not "cc" anything all( the cc and bcc fields were blank to the best of my recollection, as I seldom use them) all I did was hit the reply button on the ISP's (cox) web email client.

I would assume there is either a configuration problem that cox has or perhaps on your end.

Could be either.

As for the App cafe problem I am using the default "PCBSD - CDN" mirror, while using isc.org for system updates.

Last edited by jdx2013; 06-21-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:08 PM

OK, I am thinking that the Firefox/Youtube issue might be specifically related to the current FreeBSD version of Firefox (21.x). I will keep taking a look at this, but most likely we will need an update to the port before it is fixed. You could ask on the FreeBSD forums/mailing list or contact the port maintainer for further information.

As for the Chromium/Facebook issue, I am still not seeing any distorted text on either your screenshot or my system here. I see that you have an nvidia graphics card, so are you using the official NVIDIA graphics driver as well, or are you using the "nv" driver instead? (The official nvidia driver works a lot better)

I am sorry for giving the impression that I needed the full list of your system hardware. All I was looking for was your system architecture (32 or 64 bit), desktop environment (looks like LXDE by your screenshots), and the version number for the PBI(s) in question. This is just so that I can check those specific PBI's in a similar environment to try and reproduce the errors.

As for the VLC PBI download, it looks like someone reported that the newest PBI has a checksum mismatch, so that it what is preventing the download from completing successfully (looked like the file did not get fully copied over to the repo). It should be resolved here soon, but you can always download the PBI directly from our build server here[1] if you need it right away.

As to the mailing list issue: I do not know exactly how your ISP handles email traffic, so I cannot speak to what the issue might be if you used the proper email address. Perhaps that would be a good question to ask your ISP directly?
[1] ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/pbioutgoing/...ultimedia/vlc/ (64-bit)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:33 PM

Ok, is this the chromium PBI or the FreeBSD port you are using?

Because the port is version 23, and seems to be the only browser that works flawlessly without issue.

while the PBI (chromium) in my testing today seems to work flawlessly only with an intel cpu ? the one I tested was a i5 3470-S

so far I can only draw the conclusion that either my sata controller may be bad or it's a special build flag at fault.

What are your thoughts?

and where can I find a decent image hoster that does not compress the image for the problems I am having with the chromium PBI on my AMD system?

And yes my system is 64-bit and I am using the official nvidia driver
Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
OK, I am thinking that the Firefox/Youtube issue might be specifically related to the current FreeBSD version of Firefox (21.x). I will keep taking a look at this, but most likely we will need an update to the port before it is fixed. You could ask on the FreeBSD forums/mailing list or contact the port maintainer for further information.

As for the Chromium/Facebook issue, I am still not seeing any distorted text on either your screenshot or my system here. I see that you have an nvidia graphics card, so are you using the official NVIDIA graphics driver as well, or are you using the "nv" driver instead? (The official nvidia driver works a lot better)

I am sorry for giving the impression that I needed the full list of your system hardware. All I was looking for was your system architecture (32 or 64 bit), desktop environment (looks like LXDE by your screenshots), and the version number for the PBI(s) in question. This is just so that I can check those specific PBI's in a similar environment to try and reproduce the errors.

As for the VLC PBI download, it looks like someone reported that the newest PBI has a checksum mismatch, so that it what is preventing the download from completing successfully (looked like the file did not get fully copied over to the repo). It should be resolved here soon, but you can always download the PBI directly from our build server here[1] if you need it right away.

As to the mailing list issue: I do not know exactly how your ISP handles email traffic, so I cannot speak to what the issue might be if you used the proper email address. Perhaps that would be a good question to ask your ISP directly?
[1] ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/pbioutgoing/...ultimedia/vlc/ (64-bit)
ok, VLC installed from the link you provided and plays video's just fine but with the exception of it having no sound.

Tried tinkering around with the settings/options to no effect... (as suggested in this forum thread: http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=17192 that I should change it to Unix OSS

but version 2.0.4 from ports works without error,(both terminal and GUI interfaces) no extra configuration needed

How ever playing a DVD via a terminal interface with the command :

vlc -vvv dvd://[device][@raw_device][@[title][,[chapter][,angle]]]

seems to work, but not via the gui interface.

Am I missing something, here?