Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Default dual booting pcbsd 9 with Windows 7
I followed the instructions on the PC-BSD wiki a number of times and apparently have successfully installed it. I even set it up on VirtualBox before placing it on a partition and ran into no issues there. However, when I select it to boot it gets as far as starting X, performs some functions and reboots the machine, returning me to the boot loader.

I'm not a computer expert and have begun this with the idea of learning more. Could someone offer a solution or a strategy for isolating the problem, perhaps a link to useful troubleshooting instructions?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Administrator

hey jb! Can you tell us a little bit about the hardware you are using? We are looking for Processor type and speed, amount of memory, video card, and anything else you think might be relevant.

How many gigabytes did you make your pc-bsd partition? How much free space do you have on both partitions?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM

I have a ThinkPad T430.

Processor: Intel Core i5-3320 (3M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)

Memory: 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)

Graphics: NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1 GB DDR3 Memory

HDD: 500 GB, 7200 rpm

Windows: allocated 100 GB; 59.1 GB free

PC-BSD: allocated 75 GB; amount used unknown: it doesn't appear in Windows Explorer. I performed the installation loading KDE as the sole desktop environment with default settings, opting for ZFS and deselecting the boot loader. I used EasyBCD instead.

The only drive showing in Windows Explorer is C. I've reclaimed the Q drive where Lenovo stores the Windows and factory backup. The S drive that Lenovo includes remains as does an extended partition evenly divided into two logical drives for the balance of available disk space.

I don't know if it matters, but I arranged the partitions so that the operating systems were book-ending the extended partition.

If you care for me to describe anything else, please inquire.

Thanks.

Last edited by jbbulger; 05-02-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Will your bios allow you to switch off the Intel IGP and default only to your discrete Nvidia card? Optimus causes significant issues in BSD. I know there are some that claim to make it work but it would be much easier for you I think with it off. If there is a mode that says dual video switch it off in other words and use just the mode for the Nvidia card. Reboot and select display wizard in PC-BSD start up (option 6 I think?) at splash screen.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Alright, that worked and thank you. But had issues with getting out. I've used Ctl-Alt-F1 to go to a command line and logged in as root to command a reboot. As I've gone in and out Leave has sometimes worked appropriately in KDE. Any suggestions to get this functioning 100% of the time?