Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM

Default What's wrong with the PCbsd Iso?
Hi,

I've downloaded two PCbsd x86 ISO's (one I ordered, the other I downloaded) from the site, burned them, and the same thing happened with both of them...

For whatever reason, the install ISO takes all my instructions then starts installing.. Then halfway through (I'm doing this in Virtual Box (same thing happens on a full install on a disk) the installing, it just suddenly stops and restarts without finishing the install...

I notice that the CD drive acts differently with the PCbsd disk as it degrades in speed the longer it's in the drive and nearly halts and sometime after than is when the install quits itself and reboots itself. I've loaded all my CD's as vritual machines but this one works different.

Another strange thing: the first disk was able to install onto a hard drive just fine and all the hardware and internet worked. But in virtual box, the wifi wouldn't work with the first unfinished install and the second, the video suddenly came back X'd out as if it suddenly forgot how to see my intel integrated graphics..

My system is a basic system, 16 gigs of ram, best of the ivy bridge intel processors, wifi card (Linux compatable), no expansion card..

Is there a way I can get the image to finish installing??
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Hmmm i've tested all the latest iso's on ivy bridge and in virtual box and personally haven't had any issues yet...can you be certain that your optical drive is good? You might want to try an external drive or even another DVD drive if you have one. Or can you try not burning the image and just loading it into virtualbox's virtual dvd drive?

Thanks,

Josh
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshDW19 For This Useful Post:
sg1efc (03-24-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by JoshDW19 View Post
Hmmm i've tested all the latest iso's on ivy bridge and in virtual box and personally haven't had any issues yet...can you be certain that your optical drive is good? You might want to try an external drive or even another DVD drive if you have one. Or can you try not burning the image and just loading it into virtualbox's virtual dvd drive?

Thanks,

Josh
It's a really strange problem and I just don't have anywhere close to the expertise to understand this..

Do U or anyone know where I can find out how to put the image onto a USB so perhaps I can install it that way? I've tried to find legible (that I can understand) instructions online but no luck.. I use Ubuntu 12.04 at present..
Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Grab one of the USB IMGs and follow the instructions here.
The Following User Says Thank You to bds For This Useful Post:
sg1efc (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 11:35 AM

Fatmice's USB install instructions work well for me:

http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=12631

http://www.nwbackup.com

Tags
install