Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Default Odd Qt issues - pc-utilities and PBIs
Hi all,
I've been noticing some odd Qt behavior since the second-most-recent Chromium update - at least that's when I started noticing it. Qt applications have a hard time drawing the interior of their windows. I've noticed this in AppCafe, Control Panel, Eric (Python IDE), and Chromium.

I've tried to get some screenshots, but I don't know how well they document the behavior.

Has anyone else observed this? I'm using LXDE & 9.1.

Edit:
1) Sorry for the enormous images.
2) Could this be a graphics/nvidia driver issue? I'm using a GeForce 7300 GT Nvidia card. Happy to provide additional info if it can help. Thanks!
image 1
image 2

Edit #2: removed the full images of the screen shots.

Last edited by bds; 02-11-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Apologies & a bit more info
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't a problem with the nvidia driver. I tried using the Eric PBI on my laptop over the weekend & didn't experience any of the window issues.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM

If it was a video driver issue, I would expect it to impact all applications, not just the Qt ones. It looks like there is a bit of a "Bad Pixmap" X.org error that is displayed on a couple of the windows. It that a visual artifact from something else? Otherwise I am beginning to wonder if your Qt libs have gotten corrupted somehow, since you said it doesn't impact any of the programs that use GTK.

Edit:
I just noticed that you mentioned the second-to-last Chromium update. There was a memory bug with that Chromium release that was fixed fairly quickly (the PBI has already been updated to the working version), so make sure that you have the latest Chromium version from the AppCafe because that could be the cause for some of the issues. Perhaps restart the computer afterwards too to make sure that the old Chromium libs get flushed completely.

Last edited by Beanpole; 02-11-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Add note about Chromium
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Hi Ken -
thanks for the reply.
Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
If it was a video driver issue, I would expect it to impact all applications, not just the Qt ones. It looks like there is a bit of a "Bad Pixmap" X.org error that is displayed on a couple of the windows. It that a visual artifact from something else? Otherwise I am beginning to wonder if your Qt libs have gotten corrupted somehow, since you said it doesn't impact any of the programs that use GTK.
Would there be a straightforward way to update/replace those libs?
Quote:
Edit:
I just noticed that you mentioned the second-to-last Chromium update. There was a memory bug with that Chromium release that was fixed fairly quickly (the PBI has already been updated to the working version), so make sure that you have the latest Chromium version from the AppCafe because that could be the cause for some of the issues. Perhaps restart the computer afterwards too to make sure that the old Chromium libs get flushed completely.
RE the Chromium updates - there's still a persistent issue with Chromium. E.g. a page will load, but nothing will display. This doesn't happen consistently, but when it causes the Qt problems, and I think it requires a reboot to correct. The update hasn't solved that problem for me, but I haven't tried uninstalling the latest PBI and reinstalling. I'm currently on chromium-24.0.1312.57-amd64.

I'll give that a whirl and see if it corrects the problem.
Thanks again!

Edit: It does take a reboot to resolve the Chromium display problem, logging out/in doesn't.

Last edited by bds; 02-11-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bds View Post
Would there be a straightforward way to update/replace those libs?
You would have to uninstall/reinstall the appropriate Qt ports. Run "pkg_info | grep qt4-" to see which ones you have installed. My guess would be that it is one of the core libraries (qt4-corelib) since it impacted all the Qt apps, rather than one of the optional/minor codecs.
Quote:
RE the Chromium updates - there's still a persistent issue with Chromium. E.g. a page will load, but nothing will display. This doesn't happen consistently, but when it causes the Qt problems, and I think it requires a reboot to correct. The update hasn't solved that problem for me, but I haven't tried uninstalling the latest PBI and reinstalling. I'm currently on chromium-24.0.1312.57-amd64.

I'll give that a whirl and see if it corrects the problem.
Thanks again!

Edit: It does take a reboot to resolve the Chromium display problem, logging out/in doesn't.
Glad to hear the latest version fixed the issue. Usually I always recommend a reboot if you are trying to replace a broken library, just to make sure that the old version of the library is not still saved in your computer memory somewhere... :-)
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM

So, before I try to track down a new qt4-corelib, or some other package(s), these are the sorts of errors I'm getting when I start the AppCafe from the cli:

Code:
> pc-softwaremanager
<...snip...>
QNativeImage: Unable to attach to shared memory segment. 
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id:  0x0
Getting details for repoID:  "001" 
Loading translations for repoid: "001" 
Adding Categories for repoID: "001" 
Getting PBIs for repo: "001" 
QNativeImage: Unable to attach to shared memory segment. 
<...snip...>
and a similar error when I start the latest Chromium PBI (chromium-24.0.1312.57-amd64)
Code:
> chrome
[32269:247493632:0211/144632:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(165)] Gdk: shmget failed: error 12 (Cannot allocate memory)
So, some searching around indicates that this may be a indicator for a video card going bad. That sounds worst-case to me, so is there anything else I can do to work around this?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Administrator

I'm seeing the same thing here, just after updating to the newer chromium browser.. It may be causing a bug in the nvidia driver. I'll have to manually update the driver here and see if it helps fix the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmoore134 For This Useful Post:
bds (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM

Thanks, Kris. I started looking around at drivers earlier today but quickly realized I was probably destined to break something. I didn't think my bosses would approve so I backed down.

Let me know if there's any additional information I can provide.
Cheers!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 PM

Talking with Kris more about this, and it sounds like restarting the computer fixes it temporarily, but it seems to be caused by running chromium.
So for the next couple days try to avoid using Chromium if you are also using the NVIDIA driver, at least until we nail this down.

But at least the good news is that it is not your video card dying.... ;-)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM

Heh :-) I think I can manage that. Thanks again!