Old 12-21-2005, 03:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tuishimi Send a message via AIM to Tuishimi Send a message via Yahoo to Tuishimi
Default Question about building kernel...
...last night I decided to try enabling SCHED_ULE (ULE scheduler). I followed the directions listed in the FreeBSD documentation. The only changes I made to the configuration was to change the scheduler and to comment out a few network cards that I know I am not using.

The build went fine, no errors. After install I rebooted and got a slew (went by too fast to really catch them) errors and other messages (I know one was it could not load the screen saver and another was a problem with the sound driver). So then I rebooted, hit unload and pointed to the old kernel and ended up having some problems with that as well (which turned out to be unrelated - ISP issue - I am going to become a network guru at this rate with all the dhcp, tunneling and other network problems I've been having - not all are problem with PC-BSD either, btw).

So, I reinstalled from scratch again. At least I am getting good at reconfiguring everything just so. Altho' I noted: after installing the second patch, my fonts got kind of scraggly looking on the Konquerer start page.

Anyway, thanks again for a great distro! OH YEAH! My question... I am guessing it is not as simple as just recompiling the kernel with PC-BSD is it? Has anyone done it? I would like to try running ULE but do not want to go through rebuilding my entire system again.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 12-21-2005, 06:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tuishimi Send a message via AIM to Tuishimi Send a message via Yahoo to Tuishimi
Default Soooo...
...is the kernel supplied with PC-BSD really just a plain, GENERIC FreeBSD 6.0 kernel? There is no special tweaking?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

You *should* find the stock PCBSD kernel configuration file installed with your system here:

/PCBSD/conf/PCBSD.i386
Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Thanks!
Originally Posted by Solarin
You *should* find the stock PCBSD kernel configuration file installed with your system here:

/PCBSD/conf/PCBSD.i386
Ahhhh! I see! Not too different from the stock freeBSD config.

Actually, I tweaked and built it again. Works with ULE but still seems to do a LOT of complaining during boot.

Still, it is working! YAY!

So... how would I build against the PCBSD sources? Do I just use regular FreeBSD and move the config file to the appropriate place (or link to it)?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Observations so far...
...well, I seem to be a dope. I cannot do anything right the first time, but I do, at least, learn.

Anyway, despite building a generic FreeBSD 6 kernel with ULE, instead of using the PC-BSD config, it is working. The first thing I've noticed with the CPU monitor is that it is a lot more "busy". Not in the sense that more stuff is going on, but asmon zips up and down (or back and forth I should say).

Not sure if it really seems more responsive if you have a lot of stuff going on, but it seems as tho' it recovers more quickly if there is any hesitation.

No crashes yet.

I also have not tried tunneling (pptp) since the new kernel build... I'll go try that now. Anyway, it all seems fine and dandy!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:52 AM

Default I'm almost a pro now...
...I went back and built via the PCBSD configuration file. Very nice! I get it now... PCBSD loads a lot of items as options? Well, whatever, none of the extra error messages and what-not and it is working fine as ULE at the moment.

I called this kernel build "ZIPPY".