Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Default PC-BSD 9.1 64-bit broadcom Wi-Fi BCM4313 don't work
Hi!
I am using PC-BSD (64-bit) on my notebook once the 9.0 version was relased.
As I was satisfied by PC-BSD 9.0, I choose to put my PC-BSD 9.1 in a more large Hard Disk (now, it's on a 250 Gb HD)... but I have two problems...
One -the greater- is about my Wireless connection.
On my PC-BSD 9.0 installation, the LED was blue and my broadcom BCM4313 works good (it always said ma that my connection are slow, but it wasn't true: my wireless connection works -at time- very fast and good).
The story, now, are very different.
Same the driver (I try the same driver that work on the 9.0 version, of course, as in this web-page: http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Wireless_Testing )... and my wireless-tray icon see my Wi-Fi router and see me that the connection status is "associated" and work. But... the LED is still RED, and my Wi-Fi connection don't work at all!

This is my output:
Code:
% pciconf -lv | grep -i wireless
  device     = 'BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller'
Why my Wifi connection don't work? Why my LED, now, with the installed right driver, is still RED? Can you help me, for that?
Thank you very much, people!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 AM

This is my ifconfig output when I have not my wired cable connected to my notebook (and my connection was not working at all):

Code:
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
	ether 78:ac:c0:3e:29:d8
	inet6 fe80::7aac:c0ff:fe3e:29d8%re0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
	nd6 options=23<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
	media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9 
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
	nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
ndis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
	ether ac:81:12:1c:78:b9
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	ether ac:81:12:1c:78:b9
	inet6 fe80::ae81:12ff:fe1c:78b9%wlan0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xb 
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet OFDM/54Mbps mode 11g
	ssid ZyXEL channel 6 (2437 MHz 11g) bssid 00:02:cf:5a:4e:43
	regdomain ETSI country IT authmode WPA privacy OFF powersavemode CAM
	powersavesleep 100 txpower 30 bmiss 7 mcastrate 6 mgmtrate 6
	scanvalid 60 protmode CTS roaming MANUAL bintval 0
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM

No way to resolve? No ideas?
Thank you the same, of course. Your PC-BSD is a very great OS, I'm sure of it.
So, I try to reinstall all, tomorrow, hoping to have a little more luck...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM

hello monsee,

since I have the same wifi card as you and got it working somehow (with other problems...) maybe you take a look at what I did:
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=19023

In your ifconfig output I don't see an IP in the wlan0 section. What are your settings in rc.conf?

My ifconfig (internet/network working) looks like this:

ifconfig.txt
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 AM

I have just re-installed my PC-BSD 9.1 64-bit (XFCE desktop environment) to try tu solve my lack of wireless connection (this thread is about it).
... and I get an error when I attempt to use NDISulator to try the broadcom driver installation.
So, I think that the problem is into NDISulator, maybe.

This is my Terminal output after I write:

# make attach

mounting NDISulator code on top of FreeBSD code
mount_nullfs src/sys/compat/ndis /usr/src/sys/compat/ndis
mount_nullfs: Resource deadlock avoided
*** [attach] Error code 1

Is this error the reason that my driver installation was wrong?

In PC-BSD 9.0, there is NOT: no error.
In PC-BSD 9.1, i get this error.
Do you know any idea to install my Broadcom Wireless BCM4313 driver?
Any idea to do "# make attach", having a good result, using NDISulator?

Thank you very much, people!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM

Now I have installed all Ports-tree and the error is no more at "make attach", but after...

This, now, is my output:

At "make attach":

make attach
mounting NDISulator code on top of FreeBSD code
mount_nullfs src/sys/compat/ndis /usr/src/sys/compat/ndis
mount_nullfs src/sys/dev/if_ndis /usr/src/sys/dev/if_ndis
mount_nullfs src/sys/modules/ndis /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis
mount_nullfs src/sys/modules/if_ndis /usr/src/sys/modules/if_ndis
mount_nullfs src/usr.sbin/ndiscvt /usr/src/usr.sbin/ndiscvt

... but the error is on "make build":

make build
cd /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis && make
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone -mno-mmx -mno-sse -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -Wmissing-include-dirs -fdiagnostics-show-option -c /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call1':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:503: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:503: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call2':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:516: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:516: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call3':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:529: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:529: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call4':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:542: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:542: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call5':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:556: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:556: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call6':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:570: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:570: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
*** [kern_windrv.o] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis.
*** [build] Error code 1

Which way to resolve, please?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM

I have changed ndisulator version (now, I have used the version 9-stable), but the error still is. This is the output:

make build
cd /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis && make
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/amd64/include
x86 -> /usr/src/sys/x86/include
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/device_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/bus_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/pci/pci_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/vnode_if.awk @/kern/vnode_if.src -p
awk -f @/tools/vnode_if.awk @/kern/vnode_if.src -q
awk -f @/tools/vnode_if.awk @/kern/vnode_if.src -h
:> opt_usb.h
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone -mno-mmx -mno-sse -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -Wmissing-include-dirs -fdiagnostics-show-option -c /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_pe.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone -mno-mmx -mno-sse -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -Wmissing-include-dirs -fdiagnostics-show-option -c /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ndis.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone -mno-mmx -mno-sse -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -Wmissing-include-dirs -fdiagnostics-show-option -c /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_hal.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone -mno-mmx -mno-sse -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -Wmissing-include-dirs -fdiagnostics-show-option -c /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c: In function 'ntoskrnl_update_kuser':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c:428: warning: passing argument 1 of 'ntoskrnl_time' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c:429: warning: passing argument 1 of 'KeQueryTickCount' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c:430: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c: In function 'RtlInitAnsiString':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c:2805: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c: In function 'RtlInitUnicodeString':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c:2823: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c: In function 'ObReferenceObjectByHandle':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c:3244: warning: large integer implicitly truncated to unsigned type [-Woverflow]
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone -mno-mmx -mno-sse -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -Wmissing-include-dirs -fdiagnostics-show-option -c /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_ndis.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone -mno-mmx -mno-sse -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -Wmissing-include-dirs -fdiagnostics-show-option -c /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call1':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:503: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:503: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call2':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:516: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:516: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call3':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:529: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:529: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call4':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:542: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:542: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call5':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:556: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:556: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c: In function '_x86_64_call6':
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:570: error: storage size of 'fpu_ctx_save' isn't known
/usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/../../compat/ndis/kern_windrv.c:570: warning: unused variable 'fpu_ctx_save' [-Wunused-variable]
*** [kern_windrv.o] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis.
*** [build] Error code 1

I don't know the way to resolve. Must I resign to abandone your PC-BSD? (until the next relase, of course!)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 AM

As I stated here: http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=19023 I have the exact same problem with my PCBSD 9.1 x64 installation.

For testing purposes I performed these operations on a PCBSD 9.0 x64 system, where it works perfect-ly well (the generated *.ko files don’t work with 9.1, though).

I also tested it on 2 virtual box installations (PCBSD 9.1 x86 and x64) where I get the same error messages.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM

It is a serious problem, for me: I am using a notebook (my PC-BSD 9.1 is on my 64-bit notebook), so I need to use my Wi-fi connection...
I hope you can be relase a fix, for the problem, or I must resign and -forced- abandon PC-BSD 9.1, that I like very-very much.

An interesting info: in my actual PC-BSD 9.1 XFCE desktop 64-bit installation (Wi-Fi non working, with not installed drivers [NDISulator-stable don't work at all!]), I have NOT the "suddenly reboot" problem. System work good and seem very stable and useful, but with no-wireless connection...
So, I am more suppose that all my "suddenly reboot" was related to my wrong attempt to active my broadcom BCM4313 driver... Your procedure tu have a working wi-fi connection is good for PC-BSD 9.0, but isn't good on PC-BSD 9.1...
I hoping your fix... Or any useful ideas... Thank you.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 AM

Hi, people!
I need to have your opinion about a -stupid, maybe- my desperate idea...
If I go to erase my PC-BSD 9.1 64-bit installation (that's actually) with its "impossible" BCM4313 Wi-Fi connection (NDISulator don't work, on PC-BSD 9.1!... and the Wi-Fi driver cannot be installed at all) and attempt to install PC-BSD 9.0 64-bit, in which NDISultator work good and my BCM4313 Wi-Fi driver can be installed and work good, and AFTER (when I have yet my Wi-Fi connection working) proceed to update from the 9.0 version to the 9.1 version, I will lost my Wi-Fi connection, after the upgrade, or not?
If you (you are the PC-BSD experts and developers, so you can tell me a really considered opinion) tell me that I probably will lost my Wi-Fi connection after the upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1, I think the better way is to stay without Wi-Fi connection (it's orrible, but I have no other chances... and hate the idea to resign and abandon PC-BSD [I like your OS, a lot, really!]) waiting you shall to resolve this Broadcom BCM4313 (and NDISulator correlated malfunction) problem into reasonable times (one year, maybe?)... But, if you tell me that my Broadcom Wi-Fi problem cannot be solved and one year is a time too short to resolve it, it's better -for me- resign my efforts and (very sadly) abandon PC-BSD at all...
Your OS is great, but my Wi-Fi connection is indispensable to work because I'm using a notebook (a moveable labor instrument, for me)... I think it's possible to wait about one year, without Wi-fi connection, but not much more... So, I am here to have your dispassionate opinion about.
Thank you, people. Thank you.

Tags
bcm4313, ndisulator