Old 12-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Unhappy Mouse not working
I have been keeping track of FreeBSD and PC-BSD for many years now but I always have the same problems and I do not seem to be able to find the right solution.
Problem 1) I always seem to have mouse problems.
Right now I want to install PC-BSD on a proxmox VM server and I have no mouse problems on it with Windows or Linux guests.
I always endup in the loaderprompt trying to find the right commands to get the mouse going but always fail to do so.
moused, hald or dbus are not found by the load command or enable-module so there is clearly more I need to do.
Editing rc.conf seems like an action I have to do on an already installed system where the mouse does not load on bootup so that doesn't get me anywhere either.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot this?
Old 12-23-2012, 03:25 PM

I had an similar problem on with Gigabyte mother-board a few years ago and after lots of searching it went something like this...

as usual in the /etc/rc.conf

Code:
moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_type="auto"
moused_flags="-m 2=3"
You may have to remove <moused_flags="-m 2=3> because the GUI mouse may not work .. under GNOME for sure.

Than I found a link that directed me to the right part of FreeBSD Hand Book that said go here <ee /boot/loader.conf> and type these two lines:

Code:
include /boot/loader.4th
start
Than REBOOT.

After all I went through, it was amazing .. It worked!

I tried to find those links but this is the only link that I remember out of so many. If above don't work for you, there are also ways to add instructions somewhere in one of those directories under /etc/something for mouse and USB. It was complicated but it can be found:

http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/fbs..._clear_tmp.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to sharris For This Useful Post:
sg1efc (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 PM

Red face Mouse not working
Thank you Sharris but I guess that I'm looking at it the wrong way or maybe I do not understand.
All the things you mentioned above and in the link, look like a solution if you have an installed system that does not have a funtioning mouse after installation of the system.
My problem is that I cannot install the system because the mouse is not functioning.
If I try to install PC-BSD 9.1 I am having trouble installing it because I am missing the mouse function when booting from the DVD.
With the Tab and arrow keys I can set the language but entering on "next" when it is selected, does not get me to the next screen.
So what I am trying to do is get the mouse already working in the installation process, while nothing is yet written to the harddisk, so I can install the system with my mouse and as far as I know you have to do this at the loaderprompt or is this assumption wrong?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:05 AM

My mouse also not working during the install process. But I can "click" the next button with the Space-Key.