Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 PM

Default UFS TRIM by default? RAID UFS.
One thing I would like to comment about 9.1-RC3 and I would like it to be addressed before 9.1-RELEASE is that the UFS installation makes TRIM active by default, even on non SSD disks. I do not thing that behaviour is correct. Another thing I would like to be included is the ability to set up UFS mirrors when installing. I know RAIDZ is included, but why not RAID with gmirror or geom_stripe for UFS disks as well? It would be good for people with not so powerful machines.

Keep up the good work!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Regarding TRIM, it is enabled by default since it gets automatically turned off if its not supported (i.e. no SSD).

UFS mirror is a good idea and should be added in the Feature Request forum. 9.1 is frozen, but it might make it into 9.2 if requested.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Ok, it was just an aesthetic matter to get rid of those messages warning about TRIM not supported. But I understand the goal of its activation by default.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Just for the sake of the info: I have checked the installer of 9.0 and it gives the option to create a gmirror (ZFS & UFS). However I consider the new installer for 9.1 far superior when creating ZFS mirrors.