Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM

Default request for conkycolors
onky has been an issue ever since i ve installed pcbsd and the default conky available is the only option.
lua rings fail to load to make the other conkkyrc files to work with lua...

conky colors is so informative and covers almost everything we need and we can customize it to display what we want by just entering the options...

i could do that on my Arch (used its pacman package manager to build and install... which is so similar to building packages in bsd ?

just wanted to post a request so that if conky colors can be built as a pbi then it will be a useful tool for guys like me....

thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM

I did not see a FreeBSD port by that name[1].
Do you have a specific port in mind? Otherwise, you will want to create a port request for the program with a link/references to the desired program.

[1] http://www.freshports.org/ (searched for conky and looked through results)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
Do you have a specific port in mind? Otherwise, you will want to create a port request for the program with a link/references to the desired program.

i installed it on arch by building it... i felt pcbsd follows the similar path but i was not aware of the proedure...
here is the link https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=38226
that contains a tarball too... any idea how to build / install using the tarball in conky ?

a screenshot of the conky colors is here => http://vedgoo.com/mediagallery/media...21105105926341

the customization is a walk thru with issuing options that creates a conkyrc file in the (dot)conkycolors directory thats created automatically...

just felt i ll share it with this forum so installing conky / customizing becomes possible !

best regards
r v c
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post

was looking of ways if there can be an option to use easyPBI to build conky colors. the download for linux base is here => Conky Colors

the download page says all we need to be installed in detail.

i wish someone could build a PBI with all dependancies shown (i am new to this stuff). for user experience (i m using currently on my Arch Linux) all we do is just run the install script and it asks what should be the window size and what are the info we need and what theme to be installed and which distro logo i wish to use... thats it. a (dot)conkyrc file is generated which i simply execute with a "conky -c /PATH TO CONKY RC" and i get it.

this style will surely be more presentable than the default conky available in the PBI. its just my suggestion so some one takes over from here. further more, LUA support would also be appreciated... customization will be definitely welcomed by all pc=bsd users ...

regards,
r v c

Last edited by rvc; 12-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by rvc View Post
was looking of ways if there can be an option to use easyPBI to build conky colors. the download for linux base is here => Conky Colors

the download page says all we need to be installed in detail.

i wish someone could build a PBI with all dependancies shown (i am new to this stuff). for user experience (i m using currently on my Arch Linux) all we do is just run the install script and it asks what should be the window size and what are the info we need and what theme to be installed and which distro logo i wish to use... thats it. a (dot)conkyrc file is generated which i simply execute with a "conky -c /PATH TO CONKY RC" and i get it.

this style will surely be more presentable than the default conky available in the PBI. its just my suggestion so some one takes over from here. further more, LUA support would also be appreciated... customization will be definitely welcomed by all pc=bsd users ...

regards,
r v c
I haven't looked - but are all its dependencies even available for FreeBSD? It is very possible that they don't exist. (I am clueless about this, just saying...)
Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by david_a View Post
I haven't looked - but are all its dependencies even available for FreeBSD? It is very possible that they don't exist. (I am clueless about this, just saying...)
when we install conky from AppCafe, it runs with its default settings of its RC file. the file heirarchy is also a bit different in pcbsd.

i tried looking for individual packages but many could not be met. i posted in another thread too to seek help but till date nothing came up. so i felt someone can come up with a PBI that takes care of the dependancies...

this particular set up conky colors is versatile and can be customized with an install script included. more over, i know lua support is next to NIL in pcbsd even though my system says lua51 or similar is installed !

setting up a conky does make it look more sober and better integrated with the desktop wall than a KDE widget (its my opinion though it may differ - may b coz i use conky to customize on my linuxbox a lot !)
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 AM

i tried looking for individual packages but many could not be met. i posted in another thread too to seek help but till date nothing came up. so i felt someone can come up with a PBI that takes care of the dependancies...
To me, this part does not make sense. It seems to me that if the individual packages cannot be met, then a PBI is impossible. PBI's can only work with things that exist. (well, so far anyway.)

--
David
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 AM

To me, this part does not make sense. It seems to me that if the individual packages cannot be met, then a PBI is impossible. PBI's can only work with things that exist. (well, so far anyway.)
David
you are right, but i felt nomenclatures may be different ? dont know.
i was under impression that as bsd is also unix like (aka linux) the packages may be found in the repo. (just like we find in the respective linux distro repository) i was unable to locate them all (may be i had to search different trees in the ports?) so i posted this thread...
an example... i could identify lua51 and lua , in the ports tree...

meanwhile i am also looking for methods to set up X in the debian jail that i created with debian-squeeze.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM

you are right, but i felt nomenclatures may be different ? dont know.
i was under impression that as bsd is also unix like (aka linux) the packages may be found in the repo. (just like we find in the respective linux distro repository) i was unable to locate them all (may be i had to search different trees in the ports?) so i posted this thread...
an example... i could identify lua51 and lua , in the ports tree...

meanwhile i am also looking for methods to set up X in the debian jail that i created with debian-squeeze.
BSD and Linux each have some unique features, especially inside their respective kernels, that are not compatible with each other. If any program relies on one of those not-compatible features, then the other system cannot run that program. Sometimes it is feasible to write code into the other system to add support for whatever-it-is - other times it's too difficult, or impossible, or even simply that no one has tried yet.

...And I too would use a basic walk-through of setting up X inside of a Linux jail. Though frankly I'm not certain of the advantages and disadvantages compared to using VirtualBox.

--
David
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 AM

...And I too would use a basic walk-through of setting up X inside of a Linux jail. Though frankly I'm not certain of the advantages and disadvantages compared to using VirtualBox.

--
David
Advantages must be there, logically speaking when we run Vbox, we allocate memory to be used by that particular OS but we dont need to do so on a jailed OS.. i may be wrong, just my logicall interpretation of the methodology we install !

Tags
conky, conkycolors