Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM
rvc rvc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: India
Posts: 593
Thanks: 25
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Default request for conkycolors
onky has been an issue ever since i ve installed pcbsd and the default conky available is the only option.
lua rings fail to load to make the other conkkyrc files to work with lua...

conky colors is so informative and covers almost everything we need and we can customize it to display what we want by just entering the options...

i could do that on my Arch (used its pacman package manager to build and install... which is so similar to building packages in bsd ?

just wanted to post a request so that if conky colors can be built as a pbi then it will be a useful tool for guys like me....

thanks in advance.
__________________
r v c.
Associated with : VEDGOO.COM
My Home Page , BSD Walls 1920X1080
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Beanpole's Avatar
Beanpole Beanpole is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,563
Thanks: 23
Thanked 449 Times in 365 Posts
Default
I did not see a FreeBSD port by that name[1].
Do you have a specific port in mind? Otherwise, you will want to create a port request for the program with a link/references to the desired program.

[1] http://www.freshports.org/ (searched for conky and looked through results)
__________________
~ Ken Moore ~
PC-BSD/iXsystems
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM
rvc rvc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: India
Posts: 593
Thanks: 25
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Default
Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
I did not see a FreeBSD port by that name[1].
Do you have a specific port in mind? Otherwise, you will want to create a port request for the program with a link/references to the desired program.

[1] http://www.freshports.org/ (searched for conky and looked through results)
i installed it on arch by building it... i felt pcbsd follows the similar path but i was not aware of the proedure...
here is the link https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=38226
that contains a tarball too... any idea how to build / install using the tarball in conky ?

a screenshot of the conky colors is here => http://vedgoo.com/mediagallery/media...21105105926341

the customization is a walk thru with issuing options that creates a conkyrc file in the (dot)conkycolors directory thats created automatically...

just felt i ll share it with this forum so installing conky / customizing becomes possible !

best regards
r v c
__________________
r v c.
Associated with : VEDGOO.COM
My Home Page , BSD Walls 1920X1080
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
rvc rvc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: India
Posts: 593
Thanks: 25
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Default
Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
I did not see a FreeBSD port by that name[1].
Do you have a specific port in mind? Otherwise, you will want to create a port request for the program with a link/references to the desired program.

[1] http://www.freshports.org/ (searched for conky and looked through results)
was looking of ways if there can be an option to use easyPBI to build conky colors. the download for linux base is here => Conky Colors

the download page says all we need to be installed in detail.

i wish someone could build a PBI with all dependancies shown (i am new to this stuff). for user experience (i m using currently on my Arch Linux) all we do is just run the install script and it asks what should be the window size and what are the info we need and what theme to be installed and which distro logo i wish to use... thats it. a (dot)conkyrc file is generated which i simply execute with a "conky -c /PATH TO CONKY RC" and i get it.

this style will surely be more presentable than the default conky available in the PBI. its just my suggestion so some one takes over from here. further more, LUA support would also be appreciated... customization will be definitely welcomed by all pc=bsd users ...

regards,
r v c
__________________
r v c.
Associated with : VEDGOO.COM
My Home Page , BSD Walls 1920X1080

Last edited by rvc; 12-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
david_a david_a is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 244
Thanks: 6
Thanked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Default
Originally Posted by rvc View Post
was looking of ways if there can be an option to use easyPBI to build conky colors. the download for linux base is here => Conky Colors

the download page says all we need to be installed in detail.

i wish someone could build a PBI with all dependancies shown (i am new to this stuff). for user experience (i m using currently on my Arch Linux) all we do is just run the install script and it asks what should be the window size and what are the info we need and what theme to be installed and which distro logo i wish to use... thats it. a (dot)conkyrc file is generated which i simply execute with a "conky -c /PATH TO CONKY RC" and i get it.

this style will surely be more presentable than the default conky available in the PBI. its just my suggestion so some one takes over from here. further more, LUA support would also be appreciated... customization will be definitely welcomed by all pc=bsd users ...

regards,
r v c
I haven't looked - but are all its dependencies even available for FreeBSD? It is very possible that they don't exist. (I am clueless about this, just saying...)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 AM
rvc rvc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: India
Posts: 593
Thanks: 25
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Default
Originally Posted by david_a View Post
I haven't looked - but are all its dependencies even available for FreeBSD? It is very possible that they don't exist. (I am clueless about this, just saying...)
when we install conky from AppCafe, it runs with its default settings of its RC file. the file heirarchy is also a bit different in pcbsd.

i tried looking for individual packages but many could not be met. i posted in another thread too to seek help but till date nothing came up. so i felt someone can come up with a PBI that takes care of the dependancies...

this particular set up conky colors is versatile and can be customized with an install script included. more over, i know lua support is next to NIL in pcbsd even though my system says lua51 or similar is installed !

setting up a conky does make it look more sober and better integrated with the desktop wall than a KDE widget (its my opinion though it may differ - may b coz i use conky to customize on my linuxbox a lot !)
__________________
r v c.
Associated with : VEDGOO.COM
My Home Page , BSD Walls 1920X1080
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 AM
david_a david_a is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 244
Thanks: 6
Thanked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Default
Originally Posted by rvc View Post
i tried looking for individual packages but many could not be met. i posted in another thread too to seek help but till date nothing came up. so i felt someone can come up with a PBI that takes care of the dependancies...
To me, this part does not make sense. It seems to me that if the individual packages cannot be met, then a PBI is impossible. PBI's can only work with things that exist. (well, so far anyway.)

--
David
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 AM
rvc rvc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: India
Posts: 593
Thanks: 25
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Default
Originally Posted by david_a View Post
To me, this part does not make sense. It seems to me that if the individual packages cannot be met, then a PBI is impossible. PBI's can only work with things that exist. (well, so far anyway.)
David
you are right, but i felt nomenclatures may be different ? dont know.
i was under impression that as bsd is also unix like (aka linux) the packages may be found in the repo. (just like we find in the respective linux distro repository) i was unable to locate them all (may be i had to search different trees in the ports?) so i posted this thread...
an example... i could identify lua51 and lua , in the ports tree...

meanwhile i am also looking for methods to set up X in the debian jail that i created with debian-squeeze.
__________________
r v c.
Associated with : VEDGOO.COM
My Home Page , BSD Walls 1920X1080
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM
david_a david_a is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 244
Thanks: 6
Thanked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Default
Originally Posted by rvc View Post
you are right, but i felt nomenclatures may be different ? dont know.
i was under impression that as bsd is also unix like (aka linux) the packages may be found in the repo. (just like we find in the respective linux distro repository) i was unable to locate them all (may be i had to search different trees in the ports?) so i posted this thread...
an example... i could identify lua51 and lua , in the ports tree...

meanwhile i am also looking for methods to set up X in the debian jail that i created with debian-squeeze.
BSD and Linux each have some unique features, especially inside their respective kernels, that are not compatible with each other. If any program relies on one of those not-compatible features, then the other system cannot run that program. Sometimes it is feasible to write code into the other system to add support for whatever-it-is - other times it's too difficult, or impossible, or even simply that no one has tried yet.

...And I too would use a basic walk-through of setting up X inside of a Linux jail. Though frankly I'm not certain of the advantages and disadvantages compared to using VirtualBox.

--
David
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 AM
rvc rvc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: India
Posts: 593
Thanks: 25
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Default
Originally Posted by david_a View Post
...And I too would use a basic walk-through of setting up X inside of a Linux jail. Though frankly I'm not certain of the advantages and disadvantages compared to using VirtualBox.

--
David
Advantages must be there, logically speaking when we run Vbox, we allocate memory to be used by that particular OS but we dont need to do so on a jailed OS.. i may be wrong, just my logicall interpretation of the methodology we install !
__________________
r v c.
Associated with : VEDGOO.COM
My Home Page , BSD Walls 1920X1080
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
conky, conkycolors

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 2005-2010, The PC-BSD Project. PC-BSD and the PC-BSD logo are registered trademarks of iXsystems.
All other content is freely available for sharing under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License.